LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Condensation on Lens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During a recent Holy Grail sunset shot of 1080 images, my lens became covered with condensation, ruining the sequence. The camera was on the edge of a marsh but during sunset temperature dropped only about 8 degrees F. I was using qDSLRdashboard. This is the first time I've had such a problem. I wondered if the camera could have heated up because of the time lapse sequence but the camera was not warm to the touch. Has anyone encountered this kind of problem? Are there any solutions besides wiping the lens between shots (which might move the camera)?
Hi Obregon,

What was the temperature before you started work? If you said that it dropped to 8ºF, that is -13.33ºC !!!! wow, was this marsh in Siberia?[Image: shocked.gif] .  I know that this wont help you now but, according to Canon on cold environment and condensation on a Canon camera:

"The minimum working temperature is quoted as 0°C, but many photographers have reported working at well below this temperature without any problems. The main problem is the battery, which loses performance at sub-zero temperatures. The answer is to have at least two fully charged batteries available, carrying one in an inside pocket where it is kept warm. Swap this with the battery in the camera from time to time.This occurs when the camera and lens is moved quickly to a warmer environment. Warm air can hold more water than cool air. If warm air comes into contact with a cooler lens surface, the water in the air condenses onto the surface. This water forms a mist over the lens.

If you need to take photographs immediately, you can wipe the water away with a soft cloth or lens tissue, but it is better to let the water evaporate naturally.
Condensation can occur when carrying a camera from sub-zero temperature into a warm room, or when moving from an air-conditioned environment to a humid atmosphere. Where it is safe to do so, it is better to leave the camera and lens in the working environment if you are only taking a short break inside."

kind regards,

Rodrigo
Just thinking about it, if the lens on the camera was cold which it would be at those temperatures; the direct warm sun light combined with the moist in the air due to the marsh enviroment could have caused the condensation.

Rodrigo
You should use a "dew heater" - it's a tool used by astro photographers, check this thread: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-condensation
I guess I could have been clearer. The temperature dropped over an hour from 72 degrees F to 64 degrees F. The camera had been in the higher temperature for at least an hour before I started shooting.
I never heard of a des heater befor, but now I will add it to my kit. Ah, equipment!
Wrap 2 of these around yr lens... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_j5pI6RnQRY
I used them in freezing conditions and they work perfect. Beter to use two of them!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I have tried the astro-heaters... They are expensive and not so effective as the pocketwarmers.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I've use handwarmers as well and never have any issues and they last for hours. I usually use 2 to 3 strapped around the lens with a rubber band.
After posting I found a package in the bottom of one of my camera bags called "Nikon Anti Fog". It was a small microfiber cloth impregnated with a chemical compound said to prevent fogging. I applied it to my lens, shot last night under the same conditions of humidity and temperature change, from the same spot and had no condensation. The packaging I used is discontinued, but Nikon now sells something called "Nikon Fog Clear" which appears to be the same product. Several other companies, like UVEX, produce a similar product.