LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Nikon D7100 Timelapse flicker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I am currently using a Nikon D7100, with the Nikkor 10-24 F3.5-4.5G and qDslrdashboard for all of my timelapses.  So far in every one, i've had a significant amount of flicker. I've read nearly every tutorial on this site about how to minimize flicker, and I still end up with it in my timelapses.  The issue is the aperture control, from what I understand.  I've tried shooting with the aperture wide open, but I still get flicker.  The twisted lens trick does not work.  It results in shots being underexposed.

So far the best solution i've been able to come up with from what i've read on this site is to upgrade to the D750.  Since that is a significant upgrade, I was wondering if there was any other suggestions I might try before dropping the money on a D750. Not to mention having to sell my DX lenses for FX ones
If you get flicker when shooting wide open something else is wrong. It just cannot be aperture flicker. Could you post an example here?

Normally flicker today is not a thing to worry about at all, since the visual deflicker of LRTimelapse fully takes care of it. But nevertheless you should try to understand what exactly is causing the effects you are seeing. I hope, that you are shooting in M Mode? ISO Automatic is off?
I am shooting in Manual. Auto ISO is off.

Im not able to post any samples right now, but I will when I am able to.

I do use the visual deflicker and it does work, but i need to do about 10-15 passes before the flicker is completely gone

could it have something to do with the lens not having an aperture ring?
No, automatic lenses are fine normally.
It might be contrast flicker that you are experiencing - this could have been introduced, if you edit too strong in Lightroom, see: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
Apart from that you should set a meaningful reference area for deflickering too (drag a rectangle in the preview covering a part of the scene that shows only the flicker effect.