LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Help on Gear Buy: Dito OmniSlider vs. StageOne Plus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hallo everyone,

I am new to this Forum and would like to get some advice from you on two slider systems. I am planning on a road trip so weight on the whole system is not really a key driver on my new setup. 

I would like to have a 3 axis system to do both timelaps and videos, and it will be used a lot. My two favorites currently are the Dito OmniSlider with the ipad control vs. StageOne Plus system. 

The two complete systems I look into are: http://kids-of-all-ages.de/hersteller/dy...xis-bundle

and the DitoGear
http://kids-of-all-ages.de/hersteller/di...rol-system

I really look forward to your feedback on both systems, ...

Thank you 
Fabs
Hi Fabs,

Not easy to answer...

The Ditogear Multi Axis Moco is rather a studio system for live video and stop motion in my opinion. The Evolution controller is pretty mighty, but you need to have practice to master it (and don't forget to save often...) .
The slider comes in different lenghts, I would recommend getting 1 m or 1,5 as everything longer than that is a transportation nightmare . Ditogear actually states the travel lenght, not the slider length, so the slider is actually longer than they say.
The Omnihead is pretty straightforward, nothing much to say about it, it does it's job.
Ditogear is a closed ecosystem, meaning that interfacing to external hardware is not easily done. But it is probably the most complete system, including an optional jib and the lens motors etc. Lots of cables though ! The product pictures never show the cable mess...

The Evolution software only runs on Android. In terms of quality, Ditogear products are good, we seldom have issues, usually it's only cables...
We shot almost all of our showreel with Ditogear products, if you want to have a look: http://motioncontrol.photography

We do, however, use a BFG Mantis system to control the hardware, not the Evolution, as Mantis is more flexible and ultra reliable.

The Dynamic Perception Stage One Plus is a great timelapse system as it is very portable and lightweight. The PLUS version is pretty sturdy now as well, and it is one of the few systems that can be extended almost infinitely just by adding rails. It has the shortest shipping dimension of all the sliders I am aware of (about 50cm). The modularity comes at the cost of increased complexity, but if you can hold a screwdriver, you will be able to handle it.
The Stage R rotary stages are rather bulky but very stable. There are other options like the eMotimo Spectrum or the Nic-O-Tilt (in the near future) that you can also use as a pan & tilt solution (the Spectrum has a built in controller as well).
The Stage One and Stage R feature a motor quick change system that allows to switch between different motors in no time, which sometimes comes in handy and it allows to fold down the rig pretty good for transport.

The NMX controller does not look like much, but it is actually a pretty capable device. It can be controlled by Android and ios Apps as well as a Windows and Mac application. The feature set always is a bit different from OS to OS, but even the Android app supports simple ramping, timelapse, live video etc. The most advanced app is usually the iOS app. At the moment, 2 and 3 point moves with all three axis are possible. The NMX app is much less complicated than the Ditogear Evolution app, but it does not have as many features.
Dynamic Perception is constantly improving the feature set and updates are free. The NMX fully supports advanced timelapse workflows like holy grail, external sync etc. It is based on open source hard/software, so interfacing other equipment is easy.  
Downside of the NMX: it's rather noisy, compared to the Ditogear system, which is really silent due to the servo motors. If you rig the NMX & battery on the Stage One's cart (get the cart buddy !) there will be no cables hanging down and getting in the way, which is kind of nice.
In terms of quality, DP is good, too. Hardly any issues and we sold a lot of these...

Here you can see all of it (DP & Ditogear, eMotimo and Rhino, all controlled by Mantis) in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvnIm4uIXX8

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Matthias