LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Syrp Genie Mini & qDSLRDashboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just shot my first sunset with the qDSLRDashboard app and was very pleased with the exposure ramping that it provided to keep my images properly exposed in changing light. I was also thrilled with the way LRTimelpase handled those exposure changes in post. Ended up being very smooth in my opinion after some small deflicker. 

Anyway, I was so satisfied with it, that I wanted to consider trying to use this method with my Syrp Genie Mini. Has anyone had any luck using these two together. I haven't tried, but I am afraid that the Genie Mini might not make "short triggers" like I have heard Gunther talk about. 

If there is a way to make it work, can anyone describe the method/protocol they have done to make this work since both are triggered by an app on your phone.

Thanks for any help!
You could try setting the exposure time to the shortest possible in the syrp and additionally use a modified release cable, like I explained here: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Thanks for the quick response Gunther. 

Can you confirm that this is an issue with the Syrp Genie Mini or are you telling me 2 possible solutions if it suffers from the problem? I haven't even actually confirmed that it will indeed be a problem yet.

And another question: I am confused by your first suggestion. You don't set the "exposure time" on the Syrp Genie Mini. You can set the interval time and there is an option for "Shutter Signal" in the main settings of the app which seems to be the duration for which a signal is sent. Do you mean the shortest possible interval time or the shortest possible "Shutter Signal" duration such that the Syrp doesn't even actually trigger it?

I am also confused about how I would be using a modified shutter, Syrp Genie and qDSLRDashboard all at the same time but I will watch and read through that again.
I dont know the mini so I was just guessing. A short shutter signal is what is required. The exposure will be set on the camera anyway. The modified cable might not be necessary.

Sent mobile with Tapatalk.
Thanks Gunther. I will do some testing over the next couple days to see if it is a problem.

If it is, I think I have an idea for a solution. Might be able to have the Syrp Genie Mini running and doing its usual panning without even being plugged into the camera's shutter connection. If that is the case, it will just be a matter of starting qDSLRDashboard such that it is in sync with the shoot-move-shoot timing of the Syrp Geni Mini.

I'll update as soon as I figure out some more details, as I know it is becoming a popular cheap device to get entry access into timelapse motion.
FYI, it appears that these two don't work together. I have noticed that the Syrp Genie Mini doesn't appear to work in Live View mode unless I was doing something else incorrect. qDSLRDashboard is sending live view to your phone, right? This may be why it isn't working the way I wanted.

I can simply not plug the Syrp Genie Mini into the DSLR and have it rotate at the given increments, then do the actual triggering through qDSLRDashboard. However, it would be damn near impossible to get that in sync with qDSLRDashboard manually so that the shoot-move-shoot lines up.
No, you should not use live view when working with qdslrdashboard. I'm quite sure it works. Just connect only the shutter release cable, no USB cable (if any)

Sent mobile with Tapatalk.
Gunther,

I have been connecting the Syrp Genie Mini to my Canon 6D via the C3 shutter release. I have to use a USB cable to connect my smart phone in order to use the qDSLRDashboard app? (Yes, I could use wireless with the Canon 6D but I find it extremely buggy and difficult to connect)

It seems like when I plug in the USB OTG cable to connect my phone to the camera (for using qDSLRDashboard) the mirror clicks up. I assumed this was live view, but maybe it is just some form of mirror lock up.

I will test again soon to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly. 

Basically what I experienced was this...I started the Syrp Genie Mini app and setup the proper timelapse credentials (rotation, interval time and full timelapse time). I made sure the Syrp Genie Mini was plugged into the C3 spot and that my camera was in full manual mode with desired starting settings. Upon starting the timelapse sequence within the Syrp app, everything was working fine. Once I plugged in the connection for my phone and started the qDSLRDashboard app, the mirror flipped up and the Syrp Genie Mini stopped triggering the pictures at the interval I had set. I had over 3 sec time between the end of one shutter and the beginning of the next with RAW + small JPEG.
@drewmey,

I use qDSLRDash... in combo with 3-axis syrp cable cam Genie, genie mini X 2. It works "fine" if you accept the limitations of what "fine" means for both systems. I have found dslr very important for about the only two things it works with the genie for 1. Live view to plan move (may not be big deal if your panning/on slider but when camera is 30 feet in the air...) 2. exposure adjustment. Trying to "manually sync" dslr and syrp seems impossible (both are too imprecise in my exp. if you've found a way please let me know).
Caveats:
1. "Live view auto start" is optional settings in main dslr dashboard menu. Probably why you're hearing mirror up, upon startup. Turn this off. Live view requires "HOST mode" in order to work, and this disables external trigger, ie genie (at least on Nikon) so I use this to plan shot, take a few tests, and then make sure DSLR is in "CAMERA mode".
2. Run genie routine to trigger moves/shutter. Set DSLR to "review image after taking" to see shot after each exposure and adjust settings for next shot, changing shutter speed, ISO, aperture, whatever parameter you wish, taking care to make sure not to enter Live view or host mode. Have yet to get "auto holy grail" to work with this, but I'll keep trying.
Found that long fixed intervals work best (30secs+), allowing for both longest shutter time, and info to transfer from device to dslrdash. This unfortunately means no interval ramping Sad also found that both DSLR and syrp apps disconnect/won't reconnect often enough to drive me crazy. Important to note that even when this happens, both of last settings will be respected by genies, and camera. Meaning genie will finish its run, and camera will stay at last successfully programed setting. IE start time lapse w say 1/30 sec. exposure, halfway through at 5 sec. exposure, dslrdash loses connection camera settings will continue at 5secs, not revert back to beginning 1/30. I'm using a Nikon wu1a adapter and found that sometimes it loses power (stops broadcasting wifi), even when camera is still shooting (Gunther any ideas on this?) and only way I can get it back on is to turn camera power on/off. This isn't an option when on cable cam.
Also important is to make sure shooting RAW+small JPEGS, but that in image review (gallery settings) you have "JPG ONLY" for download, or it takes too long for image transfer, usually resulting in app crash. I'm having mixed results with this setup, but when it works it's great enough to keep trying to make it better. Since you're shooting tethered some of these issues shouldn't be an issue for you.
Dear Gunther,

I am new to LRTimelapse and so far I love it!

I also have a Syrp Genie Mini and I would really appreciate if you could explain me if and how I could sync the Genie Mini with qDSLRDashboard for the Holy grail technique.

Should I unplug the Genie Mini and controlled it independently of the camera and qDSLRDashboard? Or is there a way to sync them ?

You talked about short exposure on the genie mini ? I am not really clear.

So I hope you have more information and if you could explain a little tutorial, I would really appreciate. 

Thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 2