LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Java Keeps Crashing - 64bit Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have the latest version of LRTimelapse4 installed. And the latest version of 64-bit Windows Offline Java. 

But recently towards the end of the workflow (around visual de-flicker stage, but not always) a windows dialog box will appear saying Java has stopped working. LRTimelapse then closes. 

I cannot re open LRTimelapse unless I re-start my entire PC.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling LRTimelapse, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java 64 bit. 

But problem still persists. 

Someone please help, I've just got back from a day of shooting time lapses all over London and I cannot edit any of them because Java / LRTimelapse keeps crashing Sad

Regards, 
Oli.
The reason is an incompatibility between graphics drivers / latest windows upgrades and java on a few systems.

UPDATE: see this answer for a solution: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-java...0#pid29760
Please, could everybody that is affected by this problem tell me:

- Version of LRTimelapse
- Version of Windows including Buildnumber (you'll get it in the system information, run msinfo32.exe - if you want, you can save the nfo file and send it to me (support(at)lrtimelapse(dot)com ))
- Which Graphic Card are you using

I'm confident, that we'll find a solution.
Hello,

So, some good news!

After fully reformatting my computer and reinstalling Windows 10, LRTimelapse seems to be working and stable! Smile

One thing I noticed that the Java install defaults to this folder: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101

I made sure that the path it installed to was this one instead: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_101

I did this because when I was tinckering around before the reformat I noticed I had less stability problems installing it in this directory than the default, maybe just a coincidence? I have no idea, but it seems to work fine now.

Bad news, you have to reformat your PC, but it was worth the hassle to get it working finally!

btw I am running Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1607 OS Build 14393.0)
LRTimelapse 4.7.1
2 x ATI Radeon R9 380s (crossfire)

Thanks

P
Good it works for you now, but this can't be the solution... I'm sure we will find another way, even if my suspicion about the NVIDA driver is now gone since you said you use ATI cards...

The folder where java is being installed into should normally be left at the default, in fact it doesn't matter. On Windows everything that is 64bit goes into \Program Files\ and everything that is 32bit into \Program Files (x86)\ - therefore the 64bit Java normally goes into \Program Files\. LRTimelapse is in (x86) because it runs on 32 and 64 bit, depending on the Java that is being used. It's mandatory that on a 64bit system only the 64bit Java is being used for LRTimelapse.

I'll keep researching.
UPDATE: This seem to be a working solution to bypass the incompatibilities between some graphic engines and Java:

Please only try this, if LRTimelapse launches, but you have scrambled graphics or LRTimelapse stops working unexpectedly!
If LRTimelapse doesn't launch at all, this is not your solution. In that case just make sure, that you have only the latest 64bit Java installed, see http://lrtimelapse.com/install/

---
I've created an alternative launcher, please download it from here.
Put the LRTimelapse_noD3D.exe from inside the Zip File into c:\Program Files (X86)\LRTimelapse

Then double click onto that file to launch LRTimelapse.
It this works, you can just exchange this launcher with the original LRTimelapse.exe

Everyone using this workaround, please let me know in a reply to this post. This will help me to know, how many systems are affected.

Please tell me:
  • Version of Windows used
  • Graphics Card used, version of Driver if you know it
  • Version of JAVA (will be shown in the splash screen when launching LRTimelapse)
Glad you managed to solve the issue peanut82 - very long and laborious work around though, having to re-install the entire of windows...

And interesting you mention the Program Files install location for Java. I noticed this as well. I uninstalled Java and re-installed it into /Program Files(x86). But it made no difference. 

Gunther: I have just deleted and re-installed Java 64bit into C:/Program Files. 

Then I have downloaded your ZIP folder. 
Then extracted it. 
Then copied the .exe into C:/Program Files/ LRTimelapse 4. 
Then double clicked the .exe debug file. 

I have managed to successfully deflicker and save the meta-data of the time lapse I've been trying to do for weeks, and no crash yet. I shall now start a brand new sequence and try to go from start to finish, will let you know how it goes. 

Regards, 
Oli.
This sounds very good. Please keep me posted.

Sent mobile with Tapatalk.
So I just managed to edit a time lapse from start (import) to finish (saving de-flicker) without any Java crashes. 

What was changed in the debug.exe?

Regards, 
Oli.
That launcher sets Java to a compatibility mode that bypasses Direct 3D. Since this works on your system, it seems to be, like I suspected - a compatibility issue between the graphics driver/direct 3D engine and Java on your system.

Since this works, you can now just remove the original LRTimelapse.exe and rename LRTimelapse_noD3D.exe to LRTimelapse.exe then you can use the regular shortcuts to launch.
Pages: 1 2