LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Help with shooting timelapse with Nikon D810
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I could really do with some help if possible.

Basically, I'm using a Nikon D810 to do quite a lot of timelapses recently but haven't yet worked out how best to 'preview' images as I'm going along, to make sure that the exposures are as they should be.

For example: Full manual mode, let it run for 100 exposures, as the light changes I want to preview an image on the screen and then, potentially, make an exposure adjustment.

The issue is....the only way I can find of doing this is to pause the intervalometer timer, press "play" on the back of the D810 to preview the previous exposure, and then make an adjustment and continue with the timelapse.

As you're aware, this isn't ideal as the timing between each shot should be consistent. I find I'm getting a bit of jerky movement in certain section of my timelapses because I've had to pause to preview and make adjustments.

Any suggestions? I can't think of any other way of doing it.

Thank you Smile
You need a faster intervalometer that does not block your camera while shooting, such enabling you to see the preview and histogram. Here is how you can get your intervalometer to perform that way: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Thank you Gunther, that's very helpful. I know from some of your videos that you shoot with a Nikon D750 sometimes....what intervalometer would you recommend for my D810 (bearing in mind the style of socket required).

I know you've made a recommendation in your write-up, but I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with others in the meantime?
You can use any intervalometer you want, when you modify the release cable like explained in that article. I mostly use the pixel tc252

sent mobile via tapatalk...
I have a D800. If your interval setting is less than 5 secs there isn't time for the camera to render a preview before the next shot.
At a 5sec interval you get a preview for a split second.
At a 8sec interval you get a slightly longer preview.