LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Problem with Sony RAW files - Vignetting change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a strange problem with my RAW files from both the Sony A7S and A7RII.
In a sequence of more than 700 images shot with a Sony A7S the vignetting suddenly changes twice, the second time with a serious colour shift as well (see screen shots). This error cannot be corrected by Visual Deflicker of LRTimelape v4.7 (see attached Screenshots)

I've checked back the settings of the RAW files in Lightroom: no change happens there, all settings are identical. But when I look at the embedded previews of the RAW files I also can see the error. 

I have another time-lapse, shot with the A7RII, where this happens too. 

I've tried to correct this manually, with little success. I suspect something going wrong with the in-camera lens correction. Until now I never had an issue when using manual lenses (without electronic connection)...

Any suggestions how to fix this? 

I'm happy to provide some RAW files for closer inspection, if needed.
The camera previews doesn't matter. Check the visual previews - make sure to have the latest Adobe DNG Converter installed!
Hi Günther 
Thanks for your reply. 
Unfortunately it's not only the previews, it's the RAW files. I've checked them with Lightroom and with DXO, there's a vignetting change happening (same settings applied). LRTimelapse Visual Deflicker can't handle this. I have now 3 sequences shot with native Sony Lenses where this issue arises. Sequences shot with manual lenses don't have this problem.
I suspect the problem with the optical correction, that's baked in the RAW files when FE lenses are used on the Sony A7S/A7RII.

Here's a link to two RAW files 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjmvms7go3cow2...3.ARW?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm0z519apt2rlo...4.ARW?dl=0

and a short video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb95jb081y73yh...o.mov?dl=0

Is it possible to bypass the built-in correction profile in the RAW files?

Thanks
Joerg
That's really strange. Indeed there seem to be a profile correction "baked in" into the the one raw file but not into the other. Of course LRTimelapses deflicker can't deal with this because the effect applies to only the outer parts of the image.

I honestly have no clue, why the camera did this.
I can only recommend to always turn off any in camera correction in the future and let only Lightroom do this job - if necessary.

I found that you could probably activate Lightrooms profile correction only for the images that show the stronger vignette, and deactivate for all others. This helps a lot, even if the look is not exactly the same. Do this at the very end of the LRTimelapse process (right before exporting), since LRTimelapse might otherwise think that those changes in the activation of the profile corrections happened incidently and try to correct them.
Hi Gühnter 

Thanks a lot for your suggestion for a fix. I will try this. 

It definitly seems to be an issue with the baked-in lens profiles of Zeiss FE mount lenses. 

I'm in contact with an US-photographer who is dealing with the exact same problem (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/59874-p...post706862). Even with lens profiles turned off in the menu he still has issues. 

In my case I have 5 timelapses so far with sudden vignetting changes and/or substantial color shifts. 

This seems to be undocumented and I will inform Zeiss Germany about it.

For the moment I would advice against using Sony A cameras with native Zeiss-FE lenses for night time-lapse work (long exposures), until confirmation that it has been fixed.
That sounds like a serious but in the camera firmware or lens firmware. I hope that you can get that sorted out by either Sony or Zeiss. Please keep us posted!
Time to wake up this post, cant find a solution anywhere Smile

Have you found a solution for this? I have the same problem with Sony 55 1.8 and batis 18. It seems to always happen when transitioning from 1s to 1,3s, first picture looks normal and second vignetting problems.
[size=medium][font=Arial]Just to keep all of you updated:[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Arial]I have never heard back from Sony. I suppose Sony Switzerland sent this to Sony Japan, but they probably never heard back themselves. Unfortunately Sony behaves like a big black box and has a bad customer service. 
[/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Arial]I have this problem now confirmed with two A7S bodies, one A7R2 and even on a A6300 I’ve had it once or twice, with many different lenses, even manual Samyangs. So this is in my eyes a camera/firmware issue. [/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Arial]It doesn’t happen on every Day-to-Night I do, but it happens enough to be very annoying.[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Arial]Fixing is very difficult. You can’t just adjust the slider in the Lightroom Vignette correction (Lens correction). It’s much more complicated. I gave it up on some timelapses, so they are for the trash or I just can use a portion if them. [/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Arial]If you look at the «Stareater» issue, where many posts, articles and even a petition of more than 5000 still haven’t brought us a fix, I fear that we can wait for a long time for Sony to fix this. [/font][/size]

[font=Arial][size=medium]That’s one reason I still have a Canon 6D for some critical holy grails and I would even consider buying a Nikon D810/850 if I would use this more often. [/size][/font]
The camera previews doesn't matter. Check the visual previews - make sure to have the latest Adobe DNG Converter installed!