LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Recommend me a slider
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

I've been addicted to doing timelapse since earlier this year when I picked up LRTimelapse.  Since then I've scoured the internet and YouTube to really learn as much as I can.  I think I'm now at the point to where having a slider would really bring my timelapses to the next level.  I've done a little bit of preliminary research but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a first slider setup.  There are a ton of different companies and models and the price ranges pretty dramatically.  I'd like something that is decently but isn't ridiculously expensive.  I currently have a sirui t-025x which I is lightweight but decent, but I wonder if I'll need more than that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This is basically the same question as which car to buy. It really depends on what your prerequisites are.
Do you want a lightweight, portable system that fits in your backpack or do you want a rock solid, steady system that you need a UHAUL truck to move around ? Are you thinking of just a slider (1 axis) or do you want to add more axis later (Pan, tilt, lens... ) ?
Will you be happy with a simple A-B move or would you want to be able to program complex moves ?

Some things to consider when buying equipment:
-You buy cheap, you buy twice. Meaning, the 150 USD slider from China might work, but it probably won't satisfy you for long.
-Basically, invest in the best tripod and lenses you can afford. Don't waste all your money on the newest camera body - it will be old the moment you unpack it for the first time, but a good tripod lasts for ages and good lenses do as well.
-Try to find a trustworthy dealer in you area where you can try out equipment or rent it somewhere before you make a purchase. The internet is great and forums and customer reviews might point you in the right direction, but having the equipment in your own hands is the best way to find out if the specific product is suitable to your needs.

Ok, enough theory - you want recommendations  ? Here they are:

Many timelapsers happily use Dynamic Perceptions Stage One (Plus) slider, which can controlled by their NMX controller, the MDK controller, eMotimo Spectrum St4 etc. This is probably the most "open" solution, but also a pretty complex system (think Lego...) - they also have the inexpensive Stage Zero Slider- but that is rather bulky.

Many people also use Rhino (EVO) sliders, which are great, but have some drawbacks when it comes to timelapse (no vertical travel, limited controller).  Rhino offers a 2nd Axis called Arc and overall, their system is rather a closed ecosystem. It is possible to interface their motors with 3rd party controllers, but there are some drawbacks there as well.

Ditogear also has several slider systems - they have a similar "closed ecosystem" approach as Rhino, but they offer more flexible options (up to 6 axis). I've used their stuff a lot in the studio, but would not want to carry an Omnislider up a hill. The T'rantula system is more portable, but I have not used that personally. One of our customers took it to Africa for a documentary shooting and it performed well.

Then there are the Kessler products, which I can't say anything about - never used them, but they seem pretty popular.

You might need to mix different manufacturers to get the best kit - I personally use the DP sliders with the excellent eMotimo Spectrum and have a DP NMX controller with me at all times as a backup.

Hope this helps...
Hi 

I use this not too expensive system 
http://www.pocketslider.de/shop.html

good quality, carbon fiber and good motors.
Works great, not too heavy and you can use NMX app to control the slider but the MDK app is very good.
I use 2 axis mainly for vertical with pan. You can add on more to 3 axis.
Can easily move vertically a canon 1DX with zoom.
I'm following this conversation as well. I shoot variable exposure timelaspes (day to night) and need a 1 axis (that I can expand to 2 axis) slider that's fairly portable. Will the Rhino EVO handle the shutter speed changes or is there a better solution to check out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also I should note that I have a Syrp Genie Mini and would like to know if I could use that for the 2nd axis. So add it to a 1 axis slider system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the full Syrp Genie setup and I really enjoy it. I have a newwer carbon fiber slider from Amazon and it works great. If you already have the Syrp Genie Mini, you might as well go with the Syrp Genie; you can get one used for a great price.