LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: HG 3 Way Ramping (Manual)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gunther/all,

I'm reading through the e-book and had a few questions about the manual 3 way ramping. I read through a bunch of related posts on the forum but didn't see info on these specific questions yet.

1.[size=x-small][font=Times New Roman]    [/font][/size]Why is there a prescribed order for ramping the parameters, for sunset and sunrise? I couldn't understand this. 
2.[size=x-small][font=Times New Roman]    [/font][/size]Do you recommend exhausting the adjustments to one parameter before moving on and adjusting the second/third parameters? (Example – for sunset – first maximize shutter speed to the max your camera will allow before moving onto adjusting the aperture, etc.) Or does that not matter? 
3.[size=x-small][font=Times New Roman]    [/font][/size]I didn’t think adjusting the aperture would be an option for holy grail ramping. Wouldn’t adjusting the aperture affect the depth of field, perhaps in an undesirable way? 

Thanks so much!
1) It's just what makes most sense:
Sunset: increase Exposure -> Open Aperture -> Increase ISO
Sunrise: Lower ISO, close Aperture, shorten exposure.
But of course, you can do it like you want.

2) It depeds, mostly I don't open up the aperture all the way in the first instance to avoid vignetting, but go to ISO from f/4 on - then I ramp the iso and later continue with the aperture. Just do what you feel makes most sense for you.

3) Mostly dof is not the big issue since you often you don't have a very close foreground. But if you have, of course it will change. But I don't feel this being a bad effect. The changing in vignetting is mostly worse! So take care of that!
Thanks! That's really helpful, and makes sense.

For sunset - when starting with increasing exposure - you would increase exposure all the way up to whatever your interval will comfortably allow (with adequate 'black time') - correct? And then switch over to adjusting aperture, ISO as needed?

(Just want to make sure I understand the basics of the process correctly. Of course, I understand specific situations may require adjusting the process.)