LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Star trails: 500 rule doesn't work on my Samyang 14mm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Last night I took a milkyway timelapse with a Canon 5D Mark IV and a Samyang 14mm.

Some calculators and the 500 rule say I can use an exposure time of 35 seconds. I used only 30 seconds and got some trails on the right and left side of the image. 

Any idea wat's wrong? I used ISO 6400.

Thanks 

Oli
Maybe that's coma from your lens? The Samyang are not exactly the most accurate lenses... But in any case, that rules are really rough estimations. It depends a lot on the direction you are shooting too - in the directon of the N/S-Axis star-movement is slower (faster at the edges) then 90° to that axis.
(2017-02-23, 14:51)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe that's coma from your lens? The Samyang are not exactly the most accurate lenses... But in any case, that rules are really rough estimations. It depends a lot on the direction you are shooting too - in the directon of the N/S-Axis star-movement is slower (faster at the edges) then 90° to that axis.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was in the south-axis... I was a bit to much right the milkyway came left in south east.

It looks not like a coma from the lens, they are thin lines in star moving directions, check my screenshot of the right end of the photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obw8oe27hwgvcz...l.jpg?dl=0

Regards

Oli
yeah, that's not coma. It's just an exposure time that's too long.
I found something about star trails and newer camera here:
https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-s...-500-rule/

Maybe that's the reason why I get trails on the Canon 5D Mark IV:

What’s the takeaway? First off, megapixels have no effect on the 500 rule. When you print, the star trails will be the same size. What it really comes down to is how big you are going to print and what the viewing distance is. This will determine how long your trails can be (sorry I don’t have an answer for this).

Can you perceive a 1/16″ trail on a 24×36 print? I highly doubt it. A 60×90 print will have 3/32″ trails; this is getting to be a decent size. But, how close should you be viewing a 60×90 print? Not the same distance as a 24×36. Ultimately it’s up to you, the artist, to decide what is acceptable. I’m content with this length of trail and will be sticking with the 500 rule for now.