LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: weird sky transition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I've never had this happen to me. Looks like some strannge banding in the sky in the center. At 20s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXlcb7bhZg

I can see this banding in the sky when i click on an image in lightroom, but it disappears within one second.

What could it be? Should I apply some noise reduction in lightroom when the night comes? I didnt use dehaze but did use +9 clarity.

and a little split toning but nothign fancy.

Thoughts? I need to deliver it on Monday and there 1500 pictures so each rendering takes a long time!

Thanks a lot
Hard to judge from the youtube video, but banding happens, if you have to little bandwith for the contents. So smoothing out the contents will definitely help. I'd recommend Noise Reduction in Lightroom and "Motion Blur Plus" when rendering with LRTimelapse. The latter will help significantly.
(2017-03-24, 19:21)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to judge from the youtube video, but banding happens, if you have to little bandwith for the contents. So smoothing out the contents will definitely help. I'd recommend Noise Reduction in Lightroom and "Motion Blur Plus" when rendering with LRTimelapse. The latter will help significantly.

When I click on an evening image with the blue sky in Lightroom. I first see some banding (like waves) in the sky, but lightroom finishing doing it's thing and after 3-4 seconds the image is clean. But it's like LRtimelapse doesn't take this into account when I export it. It's still there in the timelapse.
Lightroom shows an uncompressed file, any video will be compressed. You cannot directly compare this. I've already given you some tips, I others would be to render with higher quality and/or ProRes.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
(2017-03-25, 01:56)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Lightroom shows an uncompressed file, any video will be compressed. You cannot directly compare this. I've already given you some tips, I others would be to render with higher quality and/or ProRes.

yes I had tried to add noise and motion plus (i can only do the low version). It is a little better but still there. I'm surprised as I have done dozens of holy grail timelapses and never had this problem before.

Will try rendering with the new option you gave me.

Thanks Gunther.
I tried with super high quality and they are still there. It's really weird, I've never seen anything like it. Is there anything else I can do? All your suggestions require the PRO version and I can't afford to buy it at the moment. It's a pretty simple sunset, but the blue transition from day to night creates all sort of unnatural patterns. It's pretty obvious in the Youtube video at the 23s mark. I have to give it to a client on monday, but in this state I can't quite show it him.
Try editing a bit less in Lightroom. Avoid dehaze and other non linear tools.

Btw: if you are doing commercial work you'd need the PRO license anyway, check out the license terms: http://LRTimelapse.com/eula

ha! didnt know that. its my first paid timelapse. And I'm making a mess of it by the look of it. If I get to do another one I will buy it, promise. I"m a photographer not a timelapser and my client asked me to do one on top of my work so said yes.
So whatever rendering settings I've tried, not even editing the pictures in ligthroom, editing the pictures in lightroom, I always ended up with this massive banding when the blue sky switched to night. Like massive waves. I had to export the pictures manually, import them in After effects and add some motion blur in there and it seems to have done the trick. Not sure why it hasn't worked this time, LRtimelapse has been consistently performing in the past. It might be worth noting this the first timelapse I've done since the new version. Thanks G for your help though. Hope the client likes it and gives me some more so I can buy the pro version. :-)
I'm sure he will. Scenes like this are very difficult for an mp4 encoder. That's why you normally use ProRes when doing professional work.