LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy grail mode (LRTimelapse) and QDDB capture sample questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gunther

Thanks so much for your patience and with helping me out.  I've been asking a ton of questions lately and am just trying to get a handle on utilizing this two applications in tandem and take my work to the next level!

Anyway - first question pertains to post production - the holy grail within LRTimelapse.  When LRTimelapse recognizes it is a holy grail timelapse due to the consistent changes, why do we not need to have keyframes setup where each yellow arrow is?  I would have assumed that you would need to ramp the exposure up to the first keyframe (the one just prior to where the increase of exposure took place) in order to match it.  I think in a prior tutorial video you had a different way of utilizing those yellow arrows.  In the most recent videos it seems like this is ignored, and you only use keyframes for editing.  Is this due to some automation of making the exposures ramp consistently or something?  Just curious. 

Second question is in regards to the campture sample and QDDB trying to consistently get the same histogram throughout the sunrise/sunset.  Last night I attempted a sunset with longest shutter speed of 3" and highest ISO of 3200.  When I started the timelapse there was a huge contract between darker foreground and bright sky, leaving me with a U shaped histogram (lots of darks, not much mids and lots of brights).  Does this mean that for the remainder of the timelapse QDDB will attempt to recreate that same histogram?  The reason I ask is because as it got dark out, the ISO seemed to ramp up very very quickly resulting in very bright night time images.  It seems like it would be best to try and get a histogram that is more A shaped, but I guess that is next to impossible when shooting into the sun and having a foreground.  I attempted to hit the - button to try and average the exposure level down toward the end but it didn't seem to make a ton of difference (maybe I should have adjusted earlier or more dramatically).  I'm just wondering how a pro like you typically goes about this? 

Thanks again to you and to Zoltan for everything you guys do.  I'm doing the best timelapses I've done before thanks to you guys and I know that I'm really close to getting to that next level.
Since LRT4 The Holy Grail Wizard will do the holy adjustments automatically (you can see them in the orange curve) - no need to deal with them at all anymore.
And the best is that you can keyframe your exposure individually since the holy grail compensations will happen on a background layer and not via exposure.

The histogram analysis of the auto holy grail in qDDB is intelligent, it will not try to keep the same shape of histogram, it will try to keep the same brightness of the images and try to prefent over exposure. But as it get's darker it would be good to change the reference to lower values.

When shooting the holy grail with auto HG in qDDB, you should therefore observe the brightness and change the reference to lower values, if the images get too bright. It will take a bit for you to see the changes, since this will only make the camera adjustments happen later. Adjusting 2-3 times with one or two clicks to "-" should be sufficient, but it depends from the situation you are shooting in.

Here is an faq explaining how to proceed: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...holy-grail
That's awesome dude. I was thinking when I was compensating up to each change in exposure that this is really going to take forever. Obviously you already thought of that. I'll give QDDB another go tonight or tomorrow and try to get a less bright image at the end.