LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: problem with too many 2* and 3* keyframes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gunther,

I'm editing a sunset to milky way timelapse, and I've got so many 2* and 3* keyframes (one after another), that, by the time LRT gets to the next 4* keyframe, the light levels have changed too much for a smooth transition. I'll attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean (please ignore the very large spikes in brightness, that's when a car's headlights came into view, I'll take care of them manually in LR later).

Is there any way I can fix this problem? All of my 4* keyframes are edited, and the sequence will look really nice if I can keep the program on track between them :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chas

[Image: problem-toomanykeyframes.png]
If there is no space between lots of subsequent 2*3* keyframes, the holy grail wizard might fail. Additionally you cannot set the 4* keyframes as you experienced. In those (rare) cases, I'd recommend to not use the holy grail wizard at all (then you can get rid of the 2*/3* keyframes too) and use only regular keyframing and the visual deflicker with some refine passes to smoothen everything.
(2017-04-18, 08:20)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]If there is no space between lots of subsequent 2*3* keyframes, the holy grail wizard might fail. Additionally you cannot set the 4* keyframes as you experienced. In those (rare) cases, I'd recommend to not use the holy grail wizard at all (then you can get rid of the 2*/3* keyframes too) and use only regular keyframing and the visual deflicker with some refine passes to smoothen everything.

Thanks  for the reply Gunther, very good info. 

What I did end up doing was deleting a few 2/3* pairs in the middle of all those long strings of exposure changes, and then I slipped more 4* keyframes into those gaps, and dealt with the resulting exposure change flicker in the deflicker module (with many refine passes!). 

I usually try hard to avoid long strings of 2*3* keyframes, but I'm not too experienced with holy grail/milky way timelapses yet, and the 40-ish second interval forced DSLRDashboard to make more exposure changes than I'm used to (next time perhaps I'll set DSLDashboard to make changes over full stops, instead of my usual 1/3 stops).

The final timelapse is here: https://vimeo.com/213665737 I have still a lot to learn about starlapses. fyi: those big spikes in the LRT screenshot weren't fixable, they were car headlights shining directly at the camera, so I had to take them out, and that meant jumps in the sequence :-(

Thanks again for all the help.
Looks good now. But next time go for 20 secs exposure max, 23 or 24 secs intervals, 40 ist way too long. Then you get a smoother appearance and speeding up in post is always possible.
Thanks Gunther! I'll work to keep my intervals down, but this was only a 2.8 lens (at 2.8), and I didn't want to push the ISO too high, so I pushed shutter speed and interval instead :-)

I was shooting the MW again with a f/1.4 lens the other night, I was able to use much shorter intervals (too bad there aren't any 14mm f/1.4 lenses).
I often find 14mm a bit too wide for milkyway - that's why I love the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art for this kind of stuff.