• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wiring the 2N2222A transistor

#11 arcQuisumbing
Hello all.

This may be a different topic but is related to the transistor.

I used available parts that I have laying around. Arduino Pro Mini, 1602 LCD w/o keypad, some buttons and an Optoisolator (MOC3021) instead of a transistor.

It fires the shutter only once. I have to either turn off or unplug the camera in order for the LRTPTF to be able to trigger the camera again. Is this due to the optoisolator?

Any help will be appreciated.
#12 MLXXXp
(2017-08-15, 23:31)arcQuisumbing Wrote: Is this due to the optoisolator?

Is it possible that you used an optoisolator that has an SCR or triac output instead of a transistor output? If so, this is how it would behave.

What is the part number of the optoisolator?

Edit:
Sorry, I didn't notice that you posted the optoisolator part number. :-(

Yes, the MOC3021 has a triac output, not a transistor output!
#13 arcQuisumbing
(2017-08-15, 23:47)MLXXXp Wrote: Is it possible that you used an optoisolator that has an SCR or triac output instead of a transistor output? If so, this is how it would behave.

Yes, the MOC3021 has a triac output, not a transistor output!

oh ok, thank you very much for the info.

that is very helpful. not only for this project but also with another. 

i have used the same MOC3021 to trigger a speedlite and it is behaving the same way.
#14 arcQuisumbing
replaced the MOC3021 with 4N26. everything works perfect now.

thanks for the enlightenment MLXXp.
#15 shaun@shift3.net
I am in the process of soldering as well, and find the disparity between the original photo and the diagram (ie the swapped wires colouring) a bit confusing as well.
#16 niko_at
Hi shaun!

as i can see, you are right!

the confusion is found in the different types of 2N2222 transistors that are available!
Don't ask what the manufacturer has thought about this!?

Here a copy of wikipedia page content:

[font=sans-serif]Replacements for the 2N2222 are commonly available now in the cheaper [/font][font=sans-serif]TO-92[/font][font=sans-serif] packaging, where it is known as the PN2222 or P2N2222, which has similar specifications except for the lower maximum collector current.[/font][size=x-small][font=sans-serif][13][/font][/size][font=sans-serif] The P2N2222 has a different order of pins than the metal case 2N2222, with its emitter and collector connections switched; other plastic-case transistors also have different pinouts.[/font] 

facit: Circuit Diagram LRTimelapse Pro Timer is OK.

if the used transistor starts with P (P2N2222) the pins Emitter and collector (1 and 3) are changed

a look at the original datasheet should bring clearness.
#17 shaun@shift3.net
Thank you - I ended up managing to get everything working Smile

My first soldering project!
#18 Gunther
Congratulations! Enjoy using your new timer! :-)

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: