LRTimelapse Forum
sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-archive)
+--- Forum: LRT5 - General Questions (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrt5-general-questions)
+--- Thread: sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) (/Thread-sometimes-lrt-doesn-t-use-all-cpu-cores-to-the-max-windows-10)

sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - chasg - 2018-11-25

As the title says: sometimes LRT doesn't max out my CPU cores, when it should be.

I hasten to add that I'm _sure_ this isn't an LRT-specific issue (I have the problem in in AE too), but sometimes the program doesn't max out my CPU cores when I'm rendering visual previews.

Usually it does, but sometimes it doesn't. It can add hours to my day when it doesn't (and can literally change a 3-hour AE render to a 12-hour AE render).

I'm running a up-to-date Windows machine, and, when I render visual previews in LRT, I quit all other running programs (those visible in the task bar, that is). When I look in the Resource Monitor, no other program is taking up the rest of the CPU resources, the machine just isn't maxing out as it should.

Can anyone offer me any tips as to how to figure out why, sometimes, my machine isn't running as efficiently as it could be? I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert when it comes to the nitty-gritty of the Windows OS.

A restart sometimes solves the problem, but not always.

Many thanks in advance!

Chas

RE: sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - Gunther - 2018-11-26

What LRTimelapse does, when generating Visual Previews is just spawning as many DNG Converter instances as you have processor cores in parallel, to maximize the load on the processors. You can define the amount of parallel tasts in the settings / expert settings. Check that number, see if it's equal to the number of processor cores that your computer has (should be by default). You might try to experiment with this setting, but please note that setting it too high might cause unwanted lockouts and usually won't increase the speed further.

RE: sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - chasg - 2018-12-04

Hi Gunther, good info, thanks.

Today my machine is maxing all the CPUs, so it's a good day.

This wasn't an LRT-specific query, AE and AMT also sometimes max the cores, and sometimes not. My query was a more general one, from a community who would likely be using their PCs in much the same way as I am.

The root of my question is that I just can't figure out _why_ sometimes all the processing power is being used, and sometimes not (when LRT came out, I immediately ensured that the program was using all CPU cores, it's a great feature).

Do you ever have days when your machine is not working at max potential, and you can't figure out why? Or, if you _have_ had this problem, and know what's going on, I'd really appreciate some insight :-)

RE: sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - Gunther - 2018-12-04

Not really... Maybe you should try a clean windows install to see if you can sort this out.

RE: sometimes LRT doesn't use all CPU cores to the max (Windows 10) - chasg - 2018-12-05

I was afraid you'd say that. Well, there's a first time for everything, wish me luck :-)