LRTimelapse Forum
Power bank issue - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: Time Lapse Shooting (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-time-lapse-shooting)
+--- Forum: Time lapse shooting, Intervalometers, Motion Control Hardware (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-time-lapse-shooting-intervalometers-motion-control-hardware)
+--- Thread: Power bank issue (/Thread-power-bank-issue)

Pages: 1 2 3

Power bank issue - roy.davis - 2021-05-11

Newbie here. After reading through these threads, I'm still not sure what I need to make this work....

I was shooting a holy grail timelapse last weekend and the camera kept shutting off after 15 min or so with message saying the battery was dead. I'm using a dummy battery connected to a power bank. I also had a lens heater plugged into to the other usb port.

Canon R5, 14 mm 1.8 Sigma Art
Power Bank: XT Power (XT-20000QC3)
QC3.0 port: Dummy battery with ONsite Relay (Model CRUPS110) from Tether Tools
5V/2.1A port: Lens heater

I wasn't using a QCP stick at the time, but I have one now. Even so, when I connect my camera to the power bank via QCP stick, and then plug in the lens heater in the other port, the camera shuts off.

Any suggestions would be great.

RE: Power bank issue - Sheeba - 2021-05-11

Hi Roy,
I am the developer of the QCCP-Stick.

The problem with the case relay is well known.

On the XT Powerbank you cannot connect the QCCP-Stick (QC3.0) to a USB-A port and a lens heater to the 2nd USB-A port at the same time. The power at the USB-A ports is limited to a total of 18W. If the QCCP stick is connected to a port (9V / 2A), the entire power is already used. If another device is now connected to the 2nd USB port, the power bank switches back to 5V and the camera switches off. But there is a solution. Connect the QCCP-Stick to the USB-C port via a USB-OTG adapter and the lens heater to a USB-A port and it works.

Where did you buy the QCCP-Stick?

Regards,
Hans

RE: Power bank issue - roy.davis - 2021-05-12

Once I have your suggested connections, will there still be enough power to connect and operate a slider w/4 motors via the DC output?

I'm buying the QCCP from youSmile thanks for the reply Hans.

RE: Power bank issue - Sheeba - 2021-05-12

I have not yet tested this constellation myself. But I assume that it will work. Please note that the energy saving function in the Pine Controller is not set to 100%, otherwise the power bank will switch off.

RE: Power bank issue - roy.davis - 2021-05-13

Sheeba...will you clarify----does 100% mean the power bank will shut off, whereas 0% means it's using max power?? What percentage energy saving is a good balance?

RE: Power bank issue - Sheeba - 2021-05-13

At 100% for all motors the PB will switch off. It is sufficient to reduce the energy-saving function in one motor. Try 50% on one motor.

RE: Power bank issue - c_joerg - 2021-05-13

Quote:I'm using a dummy battery connected to a power bank.
Why do you even use the dummy battery?
If I understand correctly then you can connect the R5 directly to a PD power bank.
When the power bank is empty, it would even continue to run with the internal battery.

RE: Power bank issue - rodrigo - 2022-01-28

I just started looking into Power banks for my cameras the Canon R and the R6, I got a Case Relay that has a DC Coupler DR-E6 when I insert the coupler into the Canon R and connect to a USB power bank, ports 2A I get power to the camera and it seem to work fine; alas if I do the same on the Canon R6 I get and battery error on the screen, any ideas as to why this is happening?

Power Bank: POWERbank (Input 5V1A, Output: 5V1A, Output:5V2A, Capacity-20000mAh)
Dummy battery with ONsite Relay (Model CRUPS110) from Tether Tools

Kind regards,

Rodrigo

RE: Power bank issue - c_joerg - 2022-01-28

What is the exact name of the error?
Do you use the Case Relay with a built-in 7.4V battery?

RE: Power bank issue - rodrigo - 2022-01-28

This is the dummy battery