LRTimelapse Forum
Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: LRTimelapse 6 (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-6)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-frequently-asked-questions)
+--- Thread: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? (/Thread-can-i-combine-holy-grail-and-deflicker)

Pages: 1 2

Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Gunther - 2014-01-16

Yes you can. After finishing the Holy Grail Workflow, set the reference area as ususal, then click on deflicker. Adjust Smoothing, save. Now finish the workflow in Lightroom by loading metadata for all files and exporting via LRTExport.

Important: there is a reason that I didn't include deflicker into the HG-Workflow. I always recommend taking care of flicker when shooting. There are various ways to do so, for example shooting wide open, twisting the lens or using manual lenses. For more details see my EBook.

The reason why I don't recommend using Deflicker along with the HG workflow is, that LRTimelapse will have to deflicker each subsequence inbetween the adjustments separately. This might lead to unwanted residual brightness jumps. In the Expert settings you can define, whether you want deflicker to affect the 2*/3* keyframes or not. Both have advantages and disadvantages. In my experience combining deflicker with holy grail is not a good idea - but it depends from the sequence, so it might be worth just trying it.

A better alternative

A better way to do it would be to just use the HG workflow, and then export via LRTExport from Lightroom. Now you can load the intermediate JPG sequence (LRT_xxxx folder) into LRTimelapse (ignore the warning) and deflicker that sequence. That might give you better results.

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - aversis - 2014-07-31

Hi,

When I try this, and load the jpg sequence, LRtimelapse keeps reading the metadata and recognizes the holy grail jumps from there (no xmp files written, just the jpg metadata).

Should I first delete all the jpg meadata with another application before loading it back into LRtimelapse?

Cheers,

Wouter

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Gunther - 2014-08-01

It might detect the keyframes, but you could just initialize the sequence then not create keyframes and just deflicker.

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - gsasearch - 2014-11-19

(2014-08-01, 01:05)gwegner Wrote: It might detect the keyframes, but you could just initialize the sequence then not create keyframes and just deflicker.

Perfect Solution. Thanks gwegner it worked for me .

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - praznin - 2015-03-22

Does this mean that I need to undergo 2 jpg conversions? I have original dng files, then when I do HolyGrail, I get the first exported jpgs, and then when I deflicker, I have to go through another jpg (from jpg) conversion in order to render the video.

I'd rather do the least amount of jpg conversions as possible, so I'm wondering if there is a workflow tip for that?

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Gunther - 2015-03-23

This is a workaround for the cases where it's absolutely necessary. Next version of LRTimelapse will have a better approach without the additional JPG conversion.

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - praznin - 2015-03-26

What is the workaround?

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Gunther - 2015-03-26

The workaround is the two pass approach: export the intermediary files via LRTExport plugin, load those JPGs into LRT (ignore the warning) and apply deflicker. Take care, that no 2*/3* keyframes are present in that JPG sequence.

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - praznin - 2015-03-27

So, if I understood correctly:

1) first do DG and export as jpgs
2) load these jpgs in LRTimelapse, apply deflicker
3) to render a movie, again export as jpg and render video

How do you avoid 2 jpg conversions? Sorry if I missed something..

RE: Can I combine Holy Grail and Deflicker? - Gunther - 2015-03-27

Currently with this workaround you can't avoid it (but it's not that bad). Like I said, there will be a better way in the next version.