LRTimelapse Forum
Another Keyframe Question - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-archive)
+--- Forum: LRT3 - Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrt3-archive)
+--- Thread: Another Keyframe Question (/Thread-another-keyframe-question)

Another Keyframe Question - Sportspix - 2014-07-07

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to dabble in time lapse photography and have tried a few things out with LRTimelapse which is so far going pretty well. Unfortunately I've come unstuck with keyframes (which quite a few people seem to have), and I can't find an answer to my problem despite having searched quite a bit on these forums.

I'm shooting using the Holy Grail method, and have followed Gunther's tutorial although I might have missed something.

I'm getting good solid transitions in the rendered video - with the exception of the keyframes. The keyframes are out of sync with the other frames. It's not a problem between the Holy Grail step (ie 2* and 3*), just any/all keyframes (including 4*), and the images around them.

Put another way, if I *removed* all the keyframes, then the video renders beautifully (aside from the missing 1-2 frames every so often). But with the keyframes in, there is a clear jump in the video and also in the intermediate jpegs output by LR, not just in brightness but in WB and other such settings.

How can I go about getting the keyframes to sync properly?

Thanks!

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Gunther - 2014-07-08

Hi, could it be that you are using settings that are not supported by LRT? In that case the keyframes will render differently to the intermediary images.
Check out this post:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what-development-tools-can-i-safely-use-in-lightroom-acr

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Sportspix - 2014-07-08

Thanks for the response Gunther. No, I don't think it's any of those because I've not done any localised adjustments. I might on one of them have tweaked the tone curve, but that was only with one of the LR default settings (medium contrast) which I think is okay based on that forum post?

All I've edited are WB/tint, contrast, shadows/highlights, whites/blacks, clarity and vibrance. I did make a small change to the offset/rotate sliders in the Holy Grail Wizard.

I'll have a play now with fewer settings, a linear tone curve and not moving the sliders and see if that gets me anywhere.

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Gunther - 2014-07-09

Yes, I'd suggest leaving the tone curve alone. Use the parametric one if needed.

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Sportspix - 2014-07-17

Well, I'm not sure what happened because I tried on two different sequences, and twice on one of them, with the problems I had above.

I've since managed to get a smooth sequence a few times, so clearly the problem's gone away. I did have one time where I had the jumps again, but I suspect this is down to user error! So hopefully that's all it is and I'll get more used to the workflow in time.

Doesn't help that I'm not really a LR user either so all that catalogue import stuff is pretty alien!

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Sportspix - 2014-07-20

Spoke too soon, I've just tried to work the sequence again today twice with the same resultant issue - 2*, 3* and 4* keyframes are out of sync. Having looked a bit more closely in LR before exporting, I've discovered that the tone curve is basically getting ignored - despite using the (same) standard medium contrast tone curve, all my intermediary images have a flat linear line as their tone curve.

My tone curve is copying across correctly from one keyframe to another, I suspect for whatever reason auto-transition in LRT is not applying the curves from the keyframes to the intermediary frames.

Is there something I'm not doing right?

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Gunther - 2014-07-20

Custom Tone curves are not supported by LRTimelapse. Please just leave it a the setting set when initializing the sequence.
Please use the parametric toncurve sliders instead (Highlight, Lights, Darks, Shadows).

RE: Another Keyframe Question - Sportspix - 2014-07-22

Got it - thanks Gunther. I thought because it was one of the presets within the ACR that it would be fine... but I understand what you mean now!