LRTimelapse Forum
color profile problem - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-archive)
+--- Forum: LRT4 - Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrt4-archive)
+--- Thread: color profile problem (/Thread-color-profile-problem)

Pages: 1 2

color profile problem - denis gliksman - 2016-12-03

Hi,

Before i was sending Lightroom corrected images directly to FCPX to make the videos.

I wanted to try the regular process with LRTexport and render from LRT :

i have seen the images exported via the exporter are tagged with an AdobeRGB profil
that is not good, that makes a color shift for the video

But I didn't find a way to choose color profil in LRTexport in lightroom and noway to set the color profil in LRT render in LRT ???

Thanks
Denis

RE: color profile problem - Gunther - 2016-12-04

Hi Denis,
I've changed the color handling in 4.7.2. Now indeed I'm using Adobe RGB when exporting from Lightroom, and I fine tuned the rendering in LRTimelapse to get the most accurate colors possible. Now the video color space will be the limit.
Color rendition is much better now, then it was before. Because limiting the color space to sRGB when exporting from Lightroom was an unnecessary cut, that limited the color space for the later videos in an early stage.
Please let me know, which is your setup and configuration along the whole chain.
Operating System?
Intermediary files (JPG/TIFF)
Render Settings? (Prores/MP4/Color space/Resolution)
Video Player?
Image Viewer which you used to compare the intermediary files with the video?

RE: color profile problem - denis gliksman - 2016-12-04

Hi Ghunter,

I work with Nikon cameras, d800-d600-d7100, Lightroom and photoshop CC mostly, Nikon apps for studio shoots, FCPX for video.
All is color managed, usually Adobe RGB in cameras and working space in CC.
Exporting from lightroom i use Adobe or sRGB depending the purpose.
Mac, el Capitan.

For time lapses test (and video), ( i may be wrong) , i considered that since there is no control of the color space of the end user so it was better to go to sRGB soon in the process.

For my first time-lapses i was exporting from lightroom full res files (D600, 6000*4000) jpegs HQ, sRGB, bringing theses files into FCPX, building a 4k movie that i was putting in the final project. No color shift in the results.

I tried yesterday exporting via [size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]LRTexport (tiff +proresr) and see a difference in the video color , then i discovered the images were in AdobeRGB (not[/font][/size][size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] a problem) but no way to choose to render  a movie in with sRGB in LRT render ?[/font][/size]

[size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I played yesterday the test mov with Quicktime player, i haven't tried to import it yet to fcpx.[/font][/size]

It is no problem for me to work from the files directly as before but i may miss the motion blur feature that can only be done at that stage in LRT render ? . 

[size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thanks[/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]best regards[/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Open Sans, Myriad Pro, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Denis[/font][/size]

Movies are not rendered in sRGB or Adobe RGB. They have different color profiles. Some are even smaler then even sRGB others like the newer BT.2020 are similar to the range that Adobe RGB covers.
To not compromise the colors when working with LRTimelapse I recently changed from sRGB/YUV workflow to an Adobe RGB->BT.2020 workflow.
Think about the whole color space thing like this: wherever in the process you go from a broader color space to a narrower one, you won't be able to go back.
That's why it's not a good idea to export from Lightroom in sRGB - that way, you wouldn't be able to work with the broader color space in post processing anymore.
On all of my tests, I had a much better color accuracy after the change to AdobeRGB/BT.2020 in 4.7.3 then before.

So you might want to check what exactly is going on on your system that makes you getting the color shifts that you are talking about.
Try another renderer, for example Prores444 in LRTimelapse uses another render engine then Prores 422. Check out if you can find a pattern, what's happening.

RE: color profile problem - ChristianB - 2016-12-04

Hi Gunther, I think I'm on the right thread for my issue. I've been using LRTL for several years, love it and have no significant problems this far. Back in June after a trip to Utah I proceeded some of the time lapses I obtained without a hitch. Yesterday I decided to return to finish processing some of my other TL's. But upon starting LRTL I realized there was a new LRTL update, which I did. I then went on to process a particular TL to include rendering with Mp4, 4KUHD, 29.97FPS, Ultra High Quality, 420 color sampling, and post processing checked only on "Sharpen". I am using a Macbook pro with Lightroom 5.7.1. But as I clicked on the video, which plays with quicktime, I noticed that the color changes I made in Lightroom have not been added. I then checked that the LRT Sequence frames (600 frames, LRT Tiff, Pro, 8Bit)) to see if the changes were made to the frames, which they were. Even the visual preview on LRTL shows the preview with color changes clearly applied. But once I render it with the settings mentioned above, the final video comes out without any of the color changes. I can tell that the exposure has certainly been reduced, which i reduced in LR. Yet not the color changes. Again, the LRT Sequence frames look great with all the changes. I've attached a screen shot of my work flow, which shows the visual preview with the changes implemented, as well as shots of the frames with the changes and without (directly from the video itself). And also a shot of my LR preferences settings. I'm beginning to think this newest update is like one of those iPhone updates you regret doing after the fact.  If you or anyone else could help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Christian

First one thing: I don't change things in LRT, if I don't think it's for the better.
The new color space delivered much more accurate results on all of my tests on different systems. But if we find scenarios, where this is not the case, I would like to know how this happened und which is the exact scenary. I cannot test every environment. There must be a reason why in some configurations color rendition is different.
  • First thing: LR, Timelapses "Visual Previews" are not color managed. Please forget those for color comparisions.
    Just compare the display in Lightroom and the final video.
  • For Video Playback, please use VLC player. Quicktime is not a good choice.
  • Make sure that you have exported the intermediary files with the LRTExport Plugin with at least version 4.7.3. If you rerender older sequences, you might get a difference in color rendition.
  • Make sure to have "Motion Blur Plus" off, since this feature might alter the colors.
  • If after you did all this, you still see significant (!) changes between the Lightroom colors and the Video colors (a bit of difference is normal, since there will always be a color space conversion) then please downgrade to 4.7.1 (still on the download page) - then export again via LRTExport (4.7.1) and rerender with the same settings. Please compare the results and let me know!

RE: color profile problem - ChristianB - 2016-12-05

Thank you for the speedy reply, Gunther. I have VLC but have never used it to view any of my time-lapse videos. But wouldn't you know it, the video looks great...or least as I intended it it to look with all the color adjustments. Thank you for that little bit of information!! I would assume that importing it to Premiere Pro or After affects should be the same. The only thing with VLC is that the video play is very slow or doesn't play at all. Hence, why I rarely use it as a video player. I had to let it sit there for like a minute before it could play just a couple of seconds of the video before it froze again (buffering perhaps?). I will update VLC and perhaps that will help. Either way, its good to know that at least the video has in fact been processed as I intended. 

Cheers

Christian

RE: color profile problem - ChristianB - 2016-12-05

Update: Actually, when I looked at it more closely I realized that although the color is much better then quicktime it's still not quite the same as a TIF frame. I just hope once I bring it into Premiere Pro its looks the way its supposed to.

RE: color profile problem - Gunther - 2016-12-05

Like I said, from Photo to Video there will always be a conversion in color space. The colors cannot be exactly the same. But from my experience they are very close now.

Regarding the performance loss when playing in VLC: obviously Quicktime does not care too much about color management, that's why playback is much more performant. A player that applies proper color management, needs more computing power to do this.

LRTimelapse output is manly optimized to deliver the best quality for further post processing in video processing programs. Those programs will usually do the color management right. So what I do is to render out a small Full HD MP4 file for playback on my machines, and the big 4K or 6K Prores file for further editing in Premiere Pro. The latter won't play back smoothly on my machine in VLC either.

RE: color profile problem - denis gliksman - 2016-12-06

Hi Gunther

I perfectly understand that you render for wide gamut actually, but without the possibility to embed the color profile in the video I think it makes a mistake in color management ,  the same mistake as to open an Adobe RGB file in a non color managed software.

(By the way i checked and the shift is bigger than that ( lighter and more desaturated, even without motion blur and sharpening, when using proRes) so i don’t know what happens.)

Actually most monitor/TV are closer to sRGB, Apple monitors can have P3 space only after 2015 ...

FCPX allows us to work in Rec 709 (≈ sRGB) or Rec 2020 ≈ (AdobeRGB)

It could be nice to have the choice to export the files in sRBG or Adobe RGB. Like we can do it without Lightroom.

The best would be to be able to render for REC 709 or REC 2020 from Adobe RGB files  [feature request] ;-)

Also why do you use zip instead of LZW ? it seems much slower to compress ?

By the way Visual Deflicker (with manual correction in some boxes) does a great job and allowed me to "save" one TLapse shot in « A » mode by mistake.

Thanks
Regards
Denis