LRTimelapse Forum
Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: LRTimelapse 6 (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-6)
+--- Forum: LRTimelapse - Feature requests (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-feature-requests)
+--- Thread: Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option (/Thread-filename-path-restrictions-use-exiftool-with-utf8-option)

Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - helmutsteiner - 2017-03-17

Hey,

My LR collection has the following format:
-yyyy
---yyyy-mm
-------yyyy-mm-dd keyword1, keyword2, keyword3,...
-------yyyy-mm-dd keyword1, keyword2, keyword3,...
---yyyy-mm

I cannot load images in my folder structure into LRTimelapse due to the comma in my paths. 

The *Issue with pathname* warning states that this prevents the exif data of being loaded. ExifTool which is used to read the data supports reading UTF8 paths and filenames though. The appropriate invocation of exiftool to support UTF8 is
[size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-charset filename=utf8[/font][/size]
for every command or by using the
-common_args
parameter which is the better option imho. 

Could you add this to the execution of exiftool.exe and get rid of the warning dialog. This would be a huge improvement (at least for me).
Thanks for reading,
Helmut

RE: Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - Gunther - 2017-03-17

I think the video renderer might fail too with this type of naming.
Did you try if everything works if you ignore the warning? If so, you can turn off the warning in the expert settings. Let me know.

RE: Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - helmutsteiner - 2018-07-16

Oh man... Gunther I am so sorry, I never saw your response as I forgot to subscribe to the thread in the hidden post options. I just tested the newest version as I couldn't get it going back then and thought I give it another go. Same issue so I googled around and got back to my post here. Big Grin

Even when I set the expert option to not show EXIF warnings, it still does show them. I even restarted LRTimelapse after setting the option. Did I miss something?

Another thing: I got a new laptop with 4k screen. The UI of LRTimelapse is tiny on that display and that makes it really hard using it. I am still thinking about buying the full Pro version but for now these things still stop me. Sad

RE: Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - Gunther - 2018-07-17

I've tested the utf8 args for exiftool, but it's still not safe to use comma in the folder names. I'd really recommend to rename your folders and remove the comma. Exiftool is not the only external tool that's being used, ffmpeg might cause problems also.

For the 4K resolution: just change the UI Scaling factor on the first page of the LRTimelapse settings.

RE: Filename/-path Restrictions - Use ExifTool with UTF8 Option - helmutsteiner - 2018-07-17

Thank you, I totally overlooked that setting!
And thank you for testing UTF8, much appreciated!