LRTimelapse Forum
GoPro Issues - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-archive)
+--- Forum: LRT4 - Archive (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrt4-archive)
+--- Thread: GoPro Issues (/Thread-gopro-issues)

Pages: 1 2

GoPro Issues - derPhoto - 2017-05-28

I am using a GoPro Hero 5 Black and trying to make a timelapse. I am running into a few issues. 
Here is a link to two files from this test run:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l07aci889k12tin/AADFtLKhi9VGJyc83e8_BUl_a?dl=0

Major issue:
<Can't make edits on a GoPro timelapse>
Supposedly, the gpr file is really just a DNG file with a different extension. 
It appears that lightroom is saving the metadata within the file as it does with the DNG. Not in the XMP sidecar.
The easiest way to see this is to turn on the lens correction.
I then go to lightroom and "save metadata to file" but no XMP file is created. However, lrtimelapse (sometimes) will load this change and show it for the keyframes. But, when I do an auto-transition and save then the loaded files have no history of the lens correction selection in lightroom.

Minor bug:
<Faster previews>
Can you make the demosaicing that creates the initial previews for GoPro use the same number of threads/processes as when the "Visual Previews" are being made? (at least for the pro users!)

RE: GoPro Issues - derPhoto - 2017-05-28

Also, after outputting a video I noticed that the imagery is mirrored. Although, it appears that way in Lightroom as well. So that is possibly just an Adobe or GoPro issue.

RE: GoPro Issues - Gunther - 2017-05-28

The mirroring seems to be an issue (most likely a Lightroom problem) currently, I'll have to look into this and see if I can find a workaround. To fix it, just flip the whole sequence in Lightroom before exporting.
The XMP thing works fine, Lightroom writes XMPs into the files, LRTimelapse in sidecar files. Both will read whatever is newer. So don't worry, the workflow will work.
I'll work on multithreading the demosaicing, but this will take some time.
Normally you don't need to wait for this, because the camera previews are not really needed (only to set the keyframes). So just go ahead, make your edits and switch to visual previews for deflickering.

Appreciate your quick response!

Mirroring:
Thanks. Yes, I did fix the issue on my own. I was just bringing your attention to it.

XMP thing:
This was my main issue. It was NOT working fine. It could be user error but it is unlikely as I tried it like 10-15 times in different ways each time trying to isolate more about what was going on.
I understand that you believe that you have coded for this specific use case. But, for whatever reason, it wasn't working.
Can you provide me a set of steps you would believe would fix the issue? I will try it and let you know what happens.
ex:
Step 1. close all programs
Step 2. delete all xmp files.

Demosaicing:
I understand that this may not be trivial from a programming perspective. However, from an end user perspective it is frustrating because it appears that you can do that same thing at a later stage in the visual previous process. Why not earlier? (I know it is not that simple.)

Demosaicing side effect:
Upon trying to create another timelapse I found an additional issue. When I am trying to use the import tool from my memory card it appears that the single threaded demosaicing is a bottleneck in the transfer process.
It is transferring like 100x slower for these files than it normally does when I use the filesystem tools. And, I only ever see one adobe raw icon pop up in the dock.

You could disconnect the transfer process from the preview creation process? Not sure if your previous multi-threading fix would even fix this.

RE: GoPro Issues - Gunther - 2017-05-28

Quote:XMP thing:
This was my main issue. It was NOT working fine. It could be user error but it is unlikely as I tried it like 10-15 times in different ways each time trying to isolate more about what was going on.
I understand that you believe that you have coded for this specific use case. But, for whatever reason, it wasn't working.
Can you provide me a set of steps you would believe would fix the issue? I will try it and let you know what happens.
ex:
Step 1. close all programs
Step 2. delete all xmp files.
This is standard DNG behavior. It works since years for DNG files and should work for GPR files also. At least it did in all of my tests.
To start over, just right click on the folder in LRTimelapse and "Clear all LRTimelapse editing". This will not clear the embedded XMPs, but everything else.
Then start over. You could use this instructions for some troubleshooting.
Quote:Demosaicing:
I understand that this may not be trivial from a programming perspective. However, from an end user perspective it is frustrating because it appears that you can do that same thing at a later stage in the visual previous process. Why not earlier? (I know it is not that simple.)

Demosaicing was added as a last fallback for files that come without previews. Any decent camera embeds previews into the raw files, for performance reasons. GoPro is not doing so. Of course I will be researching for faster solutions, the current way was a quick approach to allow working with those files. Not streamlined for performance yet.
But to be honest: gopro support is not on the very top of my priority list because the gopro is still a camera that is not really outstanding for timelapse photography (you still can't operate it in manual mode).

Quote:Demosaicing side effect:
Upon trying to create another timelapse I found an additional issue. When I am trying to use the import tool from my memory card it appears that the single threaded demosaicing is a bottleneck in the transfer process.
It is transferring like 100x slower for these files than it normally does when I use the filesystem tools. And, I only ever see one adobe raw icon pop up in the dock.

Yes, you are right. This is a side effect with the current approach. If you can work without the previews or with some selective previews only, don't use the LRT importer for now.

Multithreading might speed it up a bit but it still will be slow because it doesn't solve the problem that we are forced to use demosaicing because of the lack of previews.

Like I said, I will work on this but it might take some time.

XMP thing:
Got it. I will try the troubleshooting link you have sent me.
I have been using your program successfully with Nikon DSLRs for a while without issue. So, I am familiar with the workflow and the quirks of when to force lightroom to save and have the settings get passed back and forth. I have not tried it with DNG before and have not tried the GoPro raw until now.
Having said all of that, I still think there is a bug somewhere. It is possible it is on Adobe's part. Perhaps it isn't reading the XMP files when I ask it to reload them. But I don't think so.
What I see happen is (Using visual preview mode):
I load images in lrtimelapse
I then drag to lightroom and add them to my catalog.
I make edits of the keyframes.
I then export the metadata from lightroom.
I go back to lrtimelapse and refresh. It is clear that lrtimelapse has loaded the settings that I made. (ex. lens correction and white balance)
I then click the Auto Transition button. This is the step where I see my previous settings from lightroom disappear. If I look at the XMP files for all the files they appear to be default values. No interpolation of values nothing. It is like the settings from lightroom were discarded for some reason.

This issue actually is keeping me from making any real progress.
I did work around it by manually editing the XML of the XMP files for each of the keyframes and then hit the Auto Transition button again. That did work around the problem but seems to highlight the fact that there is an issue.

Demosaicing:
I know GoPro isn't being a good raw citizen by embedding a preview. I am unsure why they are doing this but I assume it is firmware complexity.
I also know that GoPro isn't a _great_ timelapse camera. But, it doesn't have a physical shutter (no wear) and is waterproof. So it has some advantages to other cameras I have. I plan on using it as a super easy second camera that I can just throw wherever and was hoping to do an underwater timelapse someday as well.

There is a "sort-of" manual mode for the GoPro. It is called ProTune. The latest update for the Hero 5 black added the ability to manually set more settings than you used to be able to. It isn't the same as what you show in your tutorials with a DSLR. You can't manually twist a knob to modify parameters. However, I can set it up with an auto ISO, fixed shutter, fixed WB, and fixed aperture (always fixed). That is actually a fairly good system.

But, I understand that it is not a priority. I was hoping to write a tutorial using your software on how to make this an easy entry level option for time lapse beginners.

Demosaicing side effect:
I will work around this issue. Don't worry about it. Just wanted to make you aware of it.

RE: GoPro Issues - Gunther - 2017-05-29

I'm not saying it's impossible that there is a bug with gopro files. Please check with the link that I've sent you and try to narrow it down. If Auto Transition really clears metadata (not only hides the columns, toggle the checkbox advice the table to check) then something with the metadata must be corrupt. Then please send me the log file after this happens. (Info menu)

Mobile via Tapatalk.

RE: GoPro Issues - derPhoto - 2017-05-29

Because the preview process was taking so long I reduced the test down to 3 files. 2 keyframes and one for interpolation.
(I added my test directory to my link above. I suggest you download it so that you can add it to your test suite.)

I was able to complete steps 1-9 on your "Update" on that troubleshooting post without issue. LRT is able to write exposure information and Lightroom reads it.

Step 10:
"Grid View (G), Metadata->Save Metadata to files
*Here you could check, if Lightroom is writing the values to the XMP files properly, by right clicking on the first image, then "Show in Explorer/Finder", and then open the XMP file with the same name as the selected image file in an text editor. Check the value for "Exposure 2012" - if it's 1.5, then LR has written the metadata correctly."

On step 10, when I look at the exposure value it is "1". It did not change to the "1.5" that was updated and saved in lightroom.
However, if I open that same GPR file in photoshop and look at the metadata. (File Info -> Raw Data) It says:
<crs:Exposure2012>+1.50</crs:Exposure2012>
So, lightroom did write the data within the GPR file but it didn't update the XMP file.

Step 11:
"In LRTimelapse: Reload - check the table you should see 1.5 in the Expsure 2012 column for the first image and 2.5 in that column for the last image."

So, I have confirmed that the XMP files were not updated but that the GPR files themselves where properly updated.
In step 11, when I reload the files in LRT. LRT doesn't update the exposure values.

So, LRT appears to be a fault.

I think I see the problem in the log:

"""
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] INFO: --- Loading directory: /Volumes/EXSSD/GoPro_TL/2017-05-29_GoPro5B_lrt_test
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] DEBUG: Loading sequence properties from /Volumes/EXSSD/GoPro_TL/2017-05-29_GoPro5B_lrt_test/.lrt/lrtsequence.properties
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] WARN: Properties-file not found.
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] DEBUG: Memory: [max|1820] [used|803] [free|1017]
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] DEBUG: Buffer size for ExifTool: 0
[2017-05-29 08:52:51] DEBUG: Exiftool: no preview embedded in G0012947.GPR. Fallback to demosaicing.
[2017-05-29 08:52:52] DEBUG: Sequence shot in auto mode
[2017-05-29 08:52:52] DEBUG: Timestamp Data complete!
[2017-05-29 08:52:52] DEBUG: Sequence is new or was processed with LRT < 4.0
[2017-05-29 08:52:53] DEBUG: Exiftool: no preview embedded in G0012948.GPR. Fallback to demosaicing.
[2017-05-29 08:52:55] DEBUG: Exiftool: no preview embedded in G0012949.GPR. Fallback to demosaicing.
[2017-05-29 08:52:57] DEBUG: Done loading previews.
[2017-05-29 08:52:57] DEBUG: Memory: [max|1820] [used|929] [free|891]
[2017-05-29 08:53:15] DEBUG: Buffer size for ExifTool: 0
[2017-05-29 08:53:15] DEBUG: Sequence shot in auto mode
[2017-05-29 08:53:33] INFO: 3 XMP-files successfully saved.
[2017-05-29 09:01:03] INFO: 2 XMP-files successfully saved.
[2017-05-29 09:15:27] INFO: Reloading XMP only...
[2017-05-29 09:15:27] DEBUG: Timestamp Data complete!
[2017-05-29 09:15:28] DEBUG: Done loading previews.
[2017-05-29 09:15:28] DEBUG: Memory: [max|1820] [used|680] [free|1140]
[2017-05-29 09:15:29] DEBUG: Buffer size for ExifTool: 0
[2017-05-29 09:15:29] DEBUG: Sequence shot in auto mode
[2017-05-29 09:23:03] INFO: Reloading XMP only...
[2017-05-29 09:23:03] DEBUG: Timestamp Data complete!
[2017-05-29 09:23:04] DEBUG: Done loading previews.
[2017-05-29 09:23:04] DEBUG: Memory: [max|1820] [used|770] [free|1050]
[2017-05-29 09:23:04] DEBUG: Buffer size for ExifTool: 0
[2017-05-29 09:23:04] DEBUG: Sequence shot in auto mode
"""

This line:
[2017-05-29 09:23:03] INFO: Reloading XMP only...

Implies exactly what I said the problem was before. LRT isn't looking in the GPR files for updated XMP information.
If I try to delete the XMP files and force LRT to reload then it just removes all of the information. So it clearly isn't reading the GPR files even if there are no XMP files.

RE: GoPro Issues - derPhoto - 2017-05-29

Update: Knowing that the GPR file is really just a DNG file I just changed the file extension and did the same process again.
This time, on step 11, LRT _DID_ look for the updated exposure information in the DNG files.
So it appears to have something to do with differing behavior in LRT based on the file extension.

RE: GoPro Issues - derPhoto - 2017-05-30

Great. Thanks!