LRTimelapse Forum
Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: LRTimelapse 6 (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-6)
+--- Forum: LRTimelapse - Feature requests (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-feature-requests)
+--- Thread: Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . (/Thread-adjustable-dissolve-built-into-final-render)

Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . - Vivas7 - 2017-08-21

Hi
I use Ltrtimeplapse for creating time lapse movies if the Northern lights .One of the issues is that the sequences are very short given the length of the accumulated images ,typically 3-4 per minute .
Playback is quickly over !
I have been using "splice " a GoPro app for iPad /iPhone that adds a dissolve interval 1.5 secs-+.also the image time also which makes for a very smooth transition, and a longer and more lifelike effect . The movies rendered in LTR naturally appear jumpy when the movie time is lengthened as no dissolve is built in .
Would this be a feature that might be added in future updates .
I would keep using splice ,but the rendering is limited to 1080 ,no sign of 4K yet . The images seemed to quite compressed and lack quality , a far cry from the originals .
Many thanks in advance ,
If there is other software that can achieve this easily, that would help also , but I've searched and found nothing .
Regards ,Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . - Gunther - 2017-08-21

Normally, when I shoot northern Lights I aim for very short intervals. I use 1-2 seconds. With a fast lens (Sigma art 20mm f/1.4 or even the new Sigma art 14 f/1.8 this is no problem and delivers outstanding results. Such sequences look much nicer than with longer exposures and a "crossfade-effect" as you proposed.
If you still want to do that, you can use Adobe Premiere Pro (or another video editing program) to slow down. In Premiere you can define, that when slowing down a crossfade should be applied.

I have already researched, if I can implement something similar in LRT, but currently I found no way to do this with the renderer that LRT uses. But I will have another look.

But again: if you only shoot 3-4 images a minute for northern lights, you are definitely doing it wrong. Northern lights is one of the application, where you need the fastest intervals possible in timelapse photography.

Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . - Vivas7 - 2017-08-21

Hi Gunther ,thanks for a quick response , the exposure settings I have been using are 8 secs ( lens tokina 11-20mm 2:8 zoom .
At 1600 ISO using raw . DX format I haven't yet shortened the exposure time since when I did try that short an exposure the image was under exposed . Although I haven't tried it yet is it possible to pull out the exposure effectively in light room to the degree required ? So is it best to increase the ISO ,or just increase the exposure in light room ? Will doing so increase the noise? I'm assuming not as this is a parameter that can also be reduced
I'm off to Iceland in January so need to sort this out before I go again .
Any advice would be most welcome . Thanks for a great program , it really works well .Thanks also for the time out to answer this question .
Regards ,David L Smith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Adjustable Dissolve built into final render . - Gunther - 2017-08-22

With a Lens capable of f/1.4 you would be able to shoot 4 times faster (2 secs exposure). Then double the iso and you are on 1sec. That would deliver much better results.
I can only recommend investing in a fast lens for this stuff, or will make your aurora images so much better.
Another big advantage of shooting faster is that the aurora would not be blurred so much and look much nicer in single frames too.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...