• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which export option in Lightroom plugin?

#1 TWvanUrk
Hi all,
I am looking for the possibilities to create a 4K Timelapse . But I am wondering about the many export options in the Lightroom plugin:
• I can choose an (desired) export resolution of 4K. But, if I choose original file size (Canon R5: 8192 x 5664), will that give a better quality for my rendered 4K timelapse video?
• The same question for the choice of JPG of TIFF format. Is this choice relevant for the output quality?
• And again the same question for 8 bits or 16 bits output.
Which combination is preferable for the best output quality of 4K timelapses?
Kind regards, T.W. van Urk
#2 Gunther
Baiscally the output will alsways be maximum as good as the weakest part in the processing chaing.
This means, if you export in 4K, later you will be restricted to a 4K resolution when rendering video.
If you export 8bit files from Lightroom, it doesn't make too much sense to bring them up to 10 bit in video editing.
So if you plan to do 4K videos only at the end, it's totally ok to export from Lightroom in 4K.
JPG is much more compressed and 8 bit only, so as a rule of thumb, if you are going to do MP4/H.264 it's ok to use JPG.
If you want to render in ProRes or DNxHR, I'd recommend Tiff.
8 bit Tiff is still way better as JPG, but of course, if you have high quality material with many color shades, it might be worth using 16 bit tiff export.
It all depends on what you want to do or what your client expects.
For personal use, you will get very good quality already with JPG intermediaries and H.264. But for professional use (further editing later in an NLE) you would want to use TIFF intermediaries and ProRes or DNxHR.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 TWvanUrk
Thank you for your quick answer. I am stockphotographer and I will take a try to upload stock footage. Quality is necessary ! So, for this goal Ligthroom export in 4K, 16 bit TIFF will be the best choice? (hmmm..... I need a bigger hard drive :-) )

In LRT I can render in ProRes. But for this, can you also advise which render quality is preferable in LRT? Will 'High' be sufficient, or need I 'Ultra High'?

Finally, a stupid question. I see my nickname is my e-mailaddress. How can I change that?
#4 Gunther
Quality "High" is usually sufficient. You only need higher qualities if you want to render in 444. But I don't think that that's required for stock video. I'd check what your stock platform accepts and adapt to that.

To change the user name: Go to UserCP on the top right / your profile / change username
#5 TWvanUrk
Ok thanks. I will give it a try :-)

My User name however, I can change Password, Email, Avatar and Signature. But no User name !?
But I can create a new account. You can delete this 'old' account.
#6 Gunther
No, just tell me your username and I'll change it.
#7 TWvanUrk
Ok, just make it "TWvanUrk"
Thank you !
#8 Gunther
Ok, done!

...also check out: