• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Solar eclipse – multiple exposure times

#1 michaelkieran
Hello,

I'll be visiting Australia soon to observe, and hopefully photograph, the total solar eclipse on April 20th.

Totality at my location is only 63 seconds and during that time I would like to take multiple exposures while varying the exposure time. For instance, shoot at 1/000th of a second, 1/800th, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60th and so on up to 1 second. If I have for instance ten exposure times, and I want to run them repeatedly during totality, is that something I can do with the LRTimelapse? I'm using a Canon EOS R, if that's useful.

Thank you!

Michael
#2 Gunther
I guess you are referring to the LRT PRO Timer? The Timer itself won't do bracketed shots, but it could help trigger the camera for as long as you need it to fire a bracketed shot.

This is how I'd set it up:

Set up the bracketing in your camera (most cameras have that feature). Set the main exposure time, the number of shots and the distance in exposure between shots). Usually in this mode now you need to hold the shutter pressed until all shots are fired.
Measure that time. Let's say, it's 3 seconds.

Now in the LRT Pro timer chose TL Astro/Bulb mode which will allow you to set a release time. Chose an interval larger than the time that you have measured, for example 4 secs. Chose the time measured as Exposure time.
Give it a try. This should now release the camera for 3 secs every 4 secs alowing it to fire all bracketed shots during every interval.
Make sure to practice and fine tune the expsure time and interval before you do the "live" shooting.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 michaelkieran
Thank you, I'll check that out to see how it might work for a total solar eclipse.

Michael

...also check out: