• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Workflow recommendations for year-long timelapse

#1 hbails
Hello all,

I'm working on the tech side of a year-long timelapse of a mountain for an artist and I want advice on the best way to tackle the post. We have our camera in the field taking photos every 5 minutes, day and night so we end up with a roughly hour long film for exhibition with a total of 105,120 photos. I've watched Gunther's (marvelous!) long-term construction tutorials but our final output is quite different so asking here...

Given that we don't really want to delete photos (unless they're errors), what is the best workflow for creating as smooth as possible final film:

- Should I process the photos day by day? We have 288 photos per day, so I'd have 365 separate timelapses to create. Will the day to night transition cause issues?

- Or should I go with the max number of photos my computer can handle at one time? How many have people tried at once? Does it make for a smoother timelapse to include more duration?

Thank you!
Harri
#2 Gunther
Officially LRTimelapse is specified to work with sequences up to 15,000 images. That's what you can find in the license terms. Technically this is no hard limit, but that's what I have tested and recommend. Depending on your hardware you can try to work with larger sequences, but then also the curves etc. will be really hard to read and the processes might slow down.
I think you will have to find a sweet spot for breaking up sequences for your specific task, which is, of course, quite special.
Without knowing more about how you shot the images (Holy Grail, Camera Automatic, did you include the night shots etc.) it's really hard to give advice. I'd recommend you try editing and come back with more specific questions.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: