• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDR Timelapse Workflow Question

#31 FableBlue2010
(2013-07-25, 20:00)aaronpriest Wrote: FableBlue2010, what did you use for your bulb ramping? It was pretty good. If it was auto exposure without ramping then the deflickering did a really good job.

I'm not quite sure I follow your question or aaraiz's questions. But I can describe my workflow and maybe that will help. Before I do anything in Lightroom I go through the first row of steps in LRTimelapse. I don't do any cropping there because I do it later in Premiere Pro. But this sets up all the parameters in Lightroom for tweaking, including two gradients that can be tweaked. I choose some key frames here sometimes if I did any manual exposure jumps. Then I go over to Lightroom and start my editing on the first keyframe, syncing it to all the photos. I'll go to my next keyframe and adjust, and so on. After saving all the metadata, including keywording, copyright, geotagging, etc. I'll read it again with LRTimelapse and do my deflickering and exposures curves, etc. After saving the metadata again I'll go back to Lightroom and read the metadata again and skim through the sequence looking for anything that looks bad or is unexpected. Then I'll set another keyframe in any areas that look off (maybe white balance changes were too gradual for example) and edit those images, saving them again. Then I go back to LRTimelapse, read the metadata, and save the deflickering and everything again. And I'll go back and forth until I get the nice smooth changes I want in my sequence.

The last thing I do is export to JPEGs for rendering my timelapse in Premiere Pro. If it's an HDR sequence I'll either export via LR/Enfuse and then tweak those exports (usually too "flat"), or I'll export as TIFFs to tonemap or use exposure fusion in SNS HDR, Oloneo, Photomatix, whatever. Hope that helps!

Here is one of my most recent timelapses done with a Promote Control, bulb ramping, and LRTimelapse. The clouds and weather didn't cooperate very well, but it's a double bulb ramping test of my pond from sunset through the night into sunrise. http://vimeo.com/aaronpriestphoto/sunris...lb-ramping

Nice time lapse. Yes you answered my question, you do export your images to a HDR processor and then render your images.
In mine I loaded into LR and made some adjustment, color, lens correction, straighten and I had to rotate them (it was shot upside down). Then exported a single image (one that i thought would be a good representative for the rest of the images) to an hdr processor (I use Photomatix Pro), processed the image to my liking, save the settings, then load all the images into "Batch Bracketed Photos" and let PMp do its magic BUT had it export the processed photos to a new folder (this takes a long time, dependent on the number of images). Then loaded the processed images in to LRT and rendered them. I do not think that i used "de- flicker" on this, I was just trying to figure out what i needed to do.
Here is another one that i was playing with and hope to go back and redo it better. It was shot over the July 4 weekend (you will notice some fireworks at about 1:35-1:40). And you may also notice the weird image in the center. That is the telephone pole that was removed with the healing brush in LR5; it does a fairly good job of hiding it except were it extends over the hills in to the sky. Also i do not think that i used "de-flicker" on this. http://youtu.be/Ytm8CXeGDTI
#32 FableBlue2010
(2013-07-26, 03:06)FableBlue2010 Wrote:
(2013-07-25, 20:00)aaronpriest Wrote: FableBlue2010, what did you use for your bulb ramping? It was pretty good. If it was auto exposure without ramping then the deflickering did a really good job.

I'm not quite sure I follow your question or aaraiz's questions. But I can describe my workflow and maybe that will help. Before I do anything in Lightroom I go through the first row of steps in LRTimelapse. I don't do any cropping there because I do it later in Premiere Pro. But this sets up all the parameters in Lightroom for tweaking, including two gradients that can be tweaked. I choose some key frames here sometimes if I did any manual exposure jumps. Then I go over to Lightroom and start my editing on the first keyframe, syncing it to all the photos. I'll go to my next keyframe and adjust, and so on. After saving all the metadata, including keywording, copyright, geotagging, etc. I'll read it again with LRTimelapse and do my deflickering and exposures curves, etc. After saving the metadata again I'll go back to Lightroom and read the metadata again and skim through the sequence looking for anything that looks bad or is unexpected. Then I'll set another keyframe in any areas that look off (maybe white balance changes were too gradual for example) and edit those images, saving them again. Then I go back to LRTimelapse, read the metadata, and save the deflickering and everything again. And I'll go back and forth until I get the nice smooth changes I want in my sequence.

The last thing I do is export to JPEGs for rendering my timelapse in Premiere Pro. If it's an HDR sequence I'll either export via LR/Enfuse and then tweak those exports (usually too "flat"), or I'll export as TIFFs to tonemap or use exposure fusion in SNS HDR, Oloneo, Photomatix, whatever. Hope that helps!

Here is one of my most recent timelapses done with a Promote Control, bulb ramping, and LRTimelapse. The clouds and weather didn't cooperate very well, but it's a double bulb ramping test of my pond from sunset through the night into sunrise. http://vimeo.com/aaronpriestphoto/sunris...lb-ramping

Nice time lapse. Yes you answered my question, you do export your images to a HDR processor and then render your images.
In mine I loaded into LR and made some adjustment, color, lens correction, straighten and I had to rotate them (it was shot upside down). Then exported a single image (one that i thought would be a good representative for the rest of the images) to an hdr processor (I use Photomatix Pro), processed the image to my liking, save the settings, then load all the images into "Batch Bracketed Photos" and let PMp do its magic BUT had it export the processed photos to a new folder (this takes a long time, dependent on the number of images). Then loaded the processed images in to LRT and rendered them. I do not think that i used "de- flicker" on this, I was just trying to figure out what i needed to do.
Here is another one that i was playing with and hope to go back and redo it better. It was shot over the July 4 weekend (you will notice some fireworks at about 1:35-1:40). And you may also notice the weird image in the center. That is the telephone pole that was removed with the healing brush in LR5; it does a fairly good job of hiding it except were it extends over the hills in to the sky. Also i do not think that i used "de-flicker" on this. http://youtu.be/Ytm8CXeGDTI

Sorry i forgot to answer you initial question.

Nothing, I shot it as a HDR (3 bracketed shots) in medium size jpeg in AV mode on a T2i with magiclanteren 2.3 fw installed.

I am testing the magic lantern's automatic bulb ramping but in a large format jpeg (i get a lot more photos this way); i set the camera yesterday morning and let it take 2000 shots, and last night i set it up again but with unlimited shots and it was still going when i left this morning.
#33 aaronpriest
(2013-07-26, 19:51)FableBlue2010 Wrote: I am testing the magic lantern's automatic bulb ramping...

I'm very impressed with its automatic bulb ramping then, WOW! I'm attempting a 24 hour spherical timelapse and bulb ramping a panorama is proving to be difficult for me. Here is what I have pulled off so far: http://www.aaronpriestphoto.com/2013/07/...-the-lawn/
#34 Olivier
Is is possible to get an HDR preview in LR timelapse ?
When does the brackets are melted into one image ?
#35 Gunther
HDR merging is not a part of LRTimelapse. You could use the Lightroom 6 function to build 16bit HDR files from bracketed shots and then bring a sequence of those HDR DNGs into LRTimelapse and process as usually.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#36 Olivier
Does lightroom 6 can do that ? I can't find how on the internet
#37 Gunther
Yes - it's called "Merge to HDR". Unfortunately currently there is no batch operation available, so you would have to do it for each image. Maybe, if enough users request a batch process for this from adobe they will hear.
#38 Olivier
Thanks for your reply
It's a shame for lightroom to no be able to do what Photomatix do
Do you know if there is a way to do that with photomatix ?
#39 Gunther
You can use Photomatix Tiffs and conver them to DNG in Lightroom, then use the LRT workflow.

Let me say again that I don't think it's a good idea at all to do HDR time lapse. You sacrifice your long exposure times by butting a bracket into the interval, you get nasty ghosting effects and you put a lot of work into a technique that does not really give you any advantage over shooting correctly with a correct exposure and the holy grail technique for transitions. Today's cameras have a huge dynamic range when shooting RAW, I find there is no benefit at all of using HDR for time lapse.
If you have a very dark foreground, rather use a faded ND filter -

Do yourself a favor and put your efforts into learning how to get perfect results just with single non bracketed shots like most pros do, instead of trying to do HDR time lapse.
#40 nadersayunjuan@gmail.com
Hi Gunter.

I'm having trouble doing the "recalculate flicker from selection" in LRtimelapse 4 it is doing nothing, I don't know if im doing something wrong.
I purchased your e-book which is great but I couldn`t find anything about HDR, it would be great to have some information about that.

About not needing HDR maybe you are right... but some few times even pro cameras can`t capture all dynamic range. At least in still photography a lot of professionals use this technique.

So there is no way to export HDR timelapses directly from Lightroom nor LRtimelapse right? I know its a Lightroom limitation but it still would be great to have that option.

Thanks.

...also check out: