• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to use LRTimelapse with After Effects

Information
#1 Joachim Buambeki
Update: You can find the latest workflow descriptions for the use of LRTimelapse with After Effects on the main page.
Added by gwegner

Hi,

since Lightroom is basically just a front end with an integrated library for ACR you can use LRTimelapse not only to alter the files created in Lightroom, but also to prepare your images for use in Adobe After Effects!
If you want to use AE anyway to create your video files, you can save a lot of time by skipping the time consuming process of importing the images in LR by using Bridge to create the .xmp files.

Here is my worklflow for working with LR-Timelapse and After Effects with the help of Adobe Bridge:

- open the folder with your TL image sequence in Adobe Bridge
- select all images (Ctrl+A), right-click on them and choose "Open in Camera Raw..."
- pick the first image and adjust the WB or other settings like exposure
- hit "Select All..." in the ACR window and "Synchronize.." after that (important!)
- choose the last image of your sequence and change the WB or whatever you like
- hit "Done" (not "Open Object") (this may take a bit to write the .xmp files)

- open the sequence with LR-Timelapse and process (and deflicker if necessary) like Gunther has showed in one of his tutorials.

- import the images into in After Effects, check "Camera RAW Sequence" (or "JPEG Sequence" if you are working with those)
- process further or edit and save as .avi or .mp4
- Be happy. :-)

If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to comment on my little tutorial.

Best Regards
David
#2 Gunther
Thank you very much Joachim, for sharing your workflow.
I must admit: I never tried that, but it sounds very straight forward - especially for users that don't have Lightroom.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Gunther
Joachim, I would like to use your workflow description on my new LRTimelapse frontpage (not launched yet) - is that okay for you?
#4 Joachim Buambeki
(2011-02-25, 12:51)gwegner Wrote: Joachim, I would like to use your workflow description on my new LRTimelapse frontpage (not launched yet) - is that okay for you?

Sure. :-)

Vimeo <<->> flickr
#5 Joachim Buambeki
I clarified some of the steps in the tutorial.
Check the first post to see the changes.

Best Regards
David
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#6 eikeb
For users that do have Lightroom 2 (or no Lightroom) and don't have After Effects there is a handy tool called MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) which can convert the image series to a video which then can be edited using other free software like Avidemux.
#7 Bas
Hi There, I am new here.
Just today downloaded your great product, and I am thrilled by it.

I was about to ask the question, can lightroom produce bigger movies then 1920? (i like to do my panning en zooming in premiere, not in LRtimelapse),
when I found this workaround from Joachim.

One thing I dont understand.
I work with jpg for the time (and hardware) being.
But when I import as JPG sequence in After Effects, it does not import the chances I made in lightroom and LRtimelapse.
Is that because there are no external xmp files? (the metadata is written inside the JPG's ?)

Basicly my question is, is this only for RAW files, or am I doing something wrong?
#8 Gunther
Welcome Bas,
you can produce bigger movies with the appropriate Lightroom export preset. See the download section, I included 1620p (2880x1620) templates for movie-export there.

Quote:One thing I dont understand.
I work with jpg for the time (and hardware) being.
But when I import as JPG sequence in After Effects, it does not import the changes I made in lightroom and LRTimelapse.
Is that because there are no external xmp files? (the metadata is written inside the JPG's ?)

I honestly don't know if Aftereffects applies the development Settings stored in the XMP (embedded in the JPG) when loading JPGs. Maybe one of the Aftereffects users can tell. Are you sure you wrote the XMP data correctly?

Quote:Basicly my question is, is this only for RAW files, or am I doing something wrong?
Sure LRTimelapse is not only for RAW files. You can use JPGs the same way when working with Lightroom. Let's see what the Aftereffects/Bridge/Photoshop users have to say about it.

Best regards
Gunther
#9 Bas
Much obliged for the quick answers!
I will just dive into the templates and get them as big as I want!

I will wait for the After Effects people for the answer.
I just figured that AE would apply those, since the Joachim stated it in his tutorial, but maybe he forgot the export/ save jpg-step. Lightroom is non-destructive, maybe the bridge option not.

Regarding your later remark, I meant this tutorial for after effects,
I hade my way with LR Timelapse and JPG's today and had much fun!

Although in attempting to resolve this issue with AE, I discovered that LR timelapse does not support Sony arw. files Sad
... thats quite a bummer in future workflow when I just was so happy with this product

#10 Gunther
(2011-05-05, 17:39)Bas Wrote: I just figured that AE would apply those, since the Joachim stated it in his tutorial, but maybe he forgot the export/ save jpg-step. Lightroom is non-destructive, maybe the bridge option not.
XMP is always non-destructive.

Quote:Although in attempting to resolve this issue with AE, I discovered that LR timelapse does not support Sony arw. files Sad
... thats quite a bummer in future workflow when I just was so happy with this product
I thought you wanted to work with JPGs? Wink

It's not really a problem. LRTimelapse will work, the only thing that doesn't work is loading the previews and deflickering on a RAW-file basis. But you can use the 2-step workflow as I wrote here:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-rw2-...202#pid202
and get the same or even better results.

...also check out: