• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDR workflow change with v3?

#1 Hetzen
Hi, new to the forum and 2 weeks into using LRt v3. During that time the Beta went to Alpha and the HDR workflow now seems to have changed.

Before there was a button that adjusted the flicker to every nth frame. Now there is a select every nth frame (as before) but the adjust button seems to have gone, and I can only asume it has been replaced with "new folder from selection" so that we now have to apply changes to metadata over three folders instead of one.

Is this correct? Or have I missed something?

Cheers

Jon
#2 Gunther
Hi Jon,
I'm planning on improving the HDR workflow so I removed it from the Menu. I will add it again in the next upgrade.
For now I would suggest you do it vial select every nth and then "new folder from selection" like you proposed.
I'm planning on adding a Workflow tab for HDR as I did for Holygrail and Deflicker.
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Hetzen
Thanks for the reply Gunther. I was hoping I didn't have to start breaking up my raw footage bins to correct flicker to then combine again so that I can run the files through SNS-HDR.
#4 Gunther
As I said, I'm sorry, didn't expect anyone to actually use that HDR workflow. I'm no big fan of HDR timelapse since I'm convinced that in 99% of all cases you can achieve better results without HDR and save loads of time. But nevertheless - I will add it again.
#5 nk87
(2013-08-07, 19:13)gwegner Wrote: As I said, I'm sorry, didn't expect anyone to actually use that HDR workflow. I'm no big fan of HDR timelapse since I'm convinced that in 99% of all cases you can achieve better results without HDR and save loads of time. But nevertheless - I will add it again.

Please try to return as soon as possible HDR workflow because it very useful thing! Thanks
#6 Hetzen
Hey no big issue, I have just finished a job which supplied several exposures for each sequence, so I went down the HDR route to keep colour correction as far down the pipeline as possible. I'm not sure it was really neccesary, although a lot of these sequences were sun rises and sets with sun in frame.

I wanted to re-assess how I handle these sequences in future, so downloaded the latest version and subsiquently started this topic.

As I'm finding out through your tutorials and forum though, LRTimelapse can smooth out quite major shifts in exposure, and as you advise, it's probably worth me exploring selecting exposure clips from those sequences, copy them into a new folder, and let the xmp data do the rest. Certainly worth a test.
#7 Gunther
Absolutely, that "Holy Grail" Approach is the much easier way to go. Make sure, you have watched the new Holy Grail tutorial: http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial - explaining how to do the matching automatically.
#8 Karel Bata
"I'm planning on improving the HDR workflow so I removed it from the Menu. I will add it again in the next upgrade."

Has that happened now..? It's not clear what you've done.

I've done a lot of tests of RAW vs bracketed exposures, and for the stylized looks I'm going for RAW just doesn't cut it. You can see an example here: [Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVyVctawiI]
Can't get this with RAW.

Great work you've done. Cheers! ;-)
#9 Gunther
I still don't have a dedicated HDR workflow tab, but the "recalculate deflicker for selection" option is in again.
Check the old HDR thread here in the forum, to see how I did it.
I say it again: I'm not a big fan of HDR time lapse, It's simply not worth the efforts. Modern cameras have huge dynamic range when shooting raw, so in most of the cases HDR won't get you any advantages only more date and a lot of work.
#10 Karel Bata
"It's simply not worth the effort"

That's a matter of taste surely. I'm working on something that's 3D - so it's twice the hassle! (Actually more like three times) And that means that anything that simplifies the workflow is very very welcome.

The Canon 5D MkIII claims an impressive 14 stops, but my 600Ds will only do about 11. However add 2 stops of bracketing and you get 15. Which beats RAW hands down. So I could show you some side by side comparisons of RAW vs bracketed, but then I suspect that wouldn't convince you..? ;-)

Will a dedicated tab ever turn up? Pretty please? :-D A definite yes/no would be good to know. If it's yes I'll wait, no and I'll sigh bite the bullet and get on with it...

;-)

...also check out: