• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assistance with wiring

#1 zgarrow
Hello everyone, Hello Gunther. First off I'd like to thank you for this project; I love the idea of this! I currently have everything wired up, but no matter how I try and trouble shoot I cannot get my camera to see the device. It doesn't even pre-focus or act like it's  going to take a picture. I am using a Fuji X100T with the 2.5 mm jack on both ends. I've looked through your guide many times, and have also looked through the Duetch forum and tried to take advice from the information there, but still cannot get my device to work 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Gunther
Hard to say from the pictures. I'd recommend that you first try to get your camera to release. Just try to troubleshoot that without the timer or interface board attached. Use the TRS Cable that you have connected to your camera.
Now you should be able to release the camera by short connecting all tree contacts of the trs-plug. Just use a piece of uninsulated copper wire, press it on the plug and the camera should release. If it does, it's something with your setup, if not, it's something with the cable or the camera.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 TORBEN-DALLAS
Hello, as far as I can see you used a diode instead of a resistor. So, the transistor can`t be triggered because it`s blocked from the diode. Give it a try with a 1000 Ohm (1kOhm) resistor.
#4 TORBEN-DALLAS
Hurray - I found the Omega sign :-)
So: 1000Ω (1kΩ)
It`s also important to connect the wires on pin 12 (red wire) and Ground/GND (black wire) on the display shield.

Good luck!
#5 zgarrow
Thank you for the help! That is probably what my issue is. Would a 1kΩ 1/4 watt resistor work instead of a 1/2 watt? That's all my local parts store has in stock.
#6 Gunther
That shouldn't be a problem.
#7 zgarrow
The camera now see's the trigger! Taking it one step at a time ... but now it "pre focuses" but then never takes a picture. Do I have my ground and cam release cables backwards? Or do I need to modify it a little bit?

EDIT: If I put the camera in Manual focus mode, the camera release works as it should. Only when I put it back into auto focus mode does it do the above.
#8 Gunther
That's kind of normal. When shooting timelapse you should never have autofocus on anyway...
You might try disconnecting the focus contact and connect the release cable only to the release pin (not to both, focus and release like in my instrution). If you camera release then, do it that way. Then it won't focus. But some cameras don't release then, you'll have to check.
#9 zgarrow
Ah yes, that is true about being in manual focus anyways. I will try what you mentioned above, and if that does not work then oh well. I have a successfully built intervalometer! Thank you again for the assistance and making this project.
#10 abejarutas
(2017-02-22, 22:16)zgarrow Wrote: Ah yes, that is true about being in manual focus anyways. I will try what you mentioned above, and if that does not work then oh well. I have a successfully built intervalometer! Thank you again for the assistance and making this project.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I think the display model you're using is not exactly the one proposed by Gunther here:
http://amzn.to/2nklucg
I do not know if it will be very important or not, I just make that observation hoping to help something.
Jesús Serrano
Video of Nature http://www.videonatura.es

...also check out: