• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can the Nikon D850 be used with the qDslrDashboard over USB like the D800?

#1 jung_m
I could not get the information if the Nikon D850 can be used with the qDslrDashboard over a USB cable. I understand it will not work over Wlan. Thank you!
#2 hubaiz
It will work but until the V3.5.4 not all functions will work. No live view and some properties will display wrong values.
#3 jung_m
Thank you, Zoltan.
#4 Cees
It is a pitty the live view mode is not supported yet on the D850. It would be great because then we could use the silent mode, which uses a electronic shutter. That won't tear your shutter down after thousands of timelapses.

Kind regards
Cees
#5 chasg
@Cees: can you elaborate? I've been considering the D850 specifically because of the electronic shutter (I've replaced the shutter on my D3S twice, and once on my D750 already).

Is silent mode/electronic shutter only available when liveview is on? This would be a deal-breaker for me :-(
#6 stars
My D750 is now on its third shutter after 11 months 28 days ( just inside 12 warranty )

But after some thought I have now purchased a second D750 body, to spread the load and to always have a stand-by.

For the most part I make astro-timelapse.  I am not convinced about D850 for this due to smaller pixels and of course unproven qDslr connection plus Snapbridge nuisance;  and the price.

Sony A7 with Vello adapter for Nikon F  was a possibility, but I hear bad things about nosie reduction and its star-eating software. And over-heating.

So, I do not want another voyage of discovery and  I have stayed with the devil I know and I bought three year warranty from Amazon. 

But I am more then shocked that a Nikon camera at 2000 euros falls apart in this way.
#7 Gunther
I'd go for thee D750 too.
But to answer your question: yes the D850 can be controlled via USB from qDslrDashboard.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#8 stars
Hi Gunther,

Yes I know D850 control is possible via USB, but as I said:

[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I do not want another voyage of discovery and  I have stayed with the devil I know[/font]

[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So despite all I now own D750 x 2 which I already know work easily and successfully using native wi-fi and Andoid tablet (fixed to the tripod) running qDslr and then OS X running LRT = assured happiness  :-)[/font]

[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]best wishes[/font]
#9 iqlusion003
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone had any success with the electronic shutter on the D850 & LRTimelapse?
Looking at buying one but don't particularly want to wear the mechanical shutter out...

Thanks!
#10 Gunther
LRTimelapse is a program for Time Lapse editing and has nothing to do with the way you shoot - or whether using electronic or mechanical shutter.
Of course you can set the D850 to Liveview and turn on the silent shutter when shooting timelapse. The only drawback is, that Liveview will be on all the time - this is when working with an external intervalometer.

Of course you can use the internal intervalometer too and then shoot silently with black monitor - but this won't allow you to change parameters while shooting (holy grail) or review the images on the screen.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: