• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

why have to regenerate previews if only change the reference area?

#1 chasg
Hi Gunther,

Here's something that has been a bit difficult to deal with, and I don't understand why.

If I've generated the visual deflicker previews and I change the reference area, LRTimelapse won't let me refine the deflicker until it regenerates the complete previews that I've already generated. This when I've changed nothing, just redrawn the reference area. 

Here are the steps:
1) set reference area (usually I do this right after loading the sequence)
2) do all edits as normal
3) generate previews for entire sequence
4) change reference area (I don't tend to make animated reference areas, I usually chose to use a single, static, reference area). LRT recalculates curves
5) select a specific set of frames to refine (eg. frames 100-300). 
6) set refine smoothing amount
7) click save
8) LRT tells me: "Please save first and allow the visual previews to be renewed, then you can refine the deflicker."
9) I have to wait until the visual previews are renewed, with no new parameters, they are the same curve as I had previously generated. 

This adds a lot of time to my workflow, and is pretty frustrating. I haven't changed any values, so I don't understand why all the visual previews have to be generated.

Is this a bug, or a feature? (it's been around for a couple of versions now, so perhaps I'm not understanding why it's happening).

Cheers!

Chas
#2 Gunther
This is unfortunately how it currently works. Since the reference are is being written into the XMP files, changing it causes the images to be marked as changed, and thus LRT wants to save and rebuild the previews before refining the deflicker. I agree that this is not the best in terms of usability.
I've already thought about a solution, but didn't find a feasible one yet. But let me think about it once more.

For now it definitely helps to define the reference at the very beginning of the workflow, before starting with the visual previews.
I'll move this thread to the feature requests.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Many thanks Gunther, knowing that the reference is being written into the xmp files solves the mystery of why this happens (and how to make sure I avoid it). I'm no developer, so I'm afraid I can't offer any help coming up with an alternative solution, sorry! We all know you work hard on the app, and we definitely appreciate it :-)
#4 Gunther
I'm happy to announce, that I've found a way to remove the reference areas from the xmp files and store them on the sequence properties, so that in the future it will be possible to freely redefine the reference area without having to rebuild the visual previews.
This will be included in the next upgrade.
#5 chasg
Hey, that is so awesome!! :-)
#6 chasg
I've just downloaded 4.8.3, do I notice that the reference area problem has been fixed? It seems to be, woo hoo! (I was working as normal, with very little sleep, as normal, and changed the reference area, and only after re-rendering after a smooth did I notice that I didn't have to re-render after changing the reference area :-)
Ah, rats, I was wrong, just bumped into the issue again. No worries, looking forward to the fix, when you get a chance.
#7 Gunther
This is changed in LRTimelapse 5: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrtimelapse-5-new/
#8 chasg
Woo hoo, awesome!! Going to crossgrade to LRT5 now :-)

...also check out: