• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Linear ~ Custom tone curve

#1 DLee
I noticed that there was a slight difference between some of my keyframes and the neighboring transitioned frames from LRT. I discovered the difference to be in the tone curve. My keyframes where linear, and the transitioned frames where custom. There is a slight difference between the two; mainly the linear ones have a little more contrast.

I did some experiments and came to the conclusion that LRT's auto transition changes the settings on the intermediate frames from linear to custom during transition.

Is this a bug?

In any event, I will work around it but I'm wondering how this affects the use of tone curve in editing keyframes if at all?

Gunther suggests staying away from non-linear adjustment tools as much as possible; is custom tone curve linear or non-linear?

d
#2 Gunther
This "stay away" from non-linear adjustments was in the Lightroom 3 times, it's not that important anymore - and has nothing to do with the tone curve. The point-curve (and that's what we are talking about) is not supported at all by LRTimelapse, so just leave it as it is. You can use the parametric tone curve (sliders: highlights, darks, mids etc.) but not the point curve.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 DLee
I just realized that if you have different tone curves between your first and last keyframes all keyframes will become 'custom.' Leave them custom and adjust accordingly... I had switched all my keyframes to linear because they looked better with less adjustment. But this caused the discrepancy between linear and custom frames in later transitions.

Every time I turn around I'm finding what I think is a problem and then figuring out that it's just my convoluted work flow again. Hopefully some of these notes will help others not to make the same mistakes.

So, the lesson here is 'don't change your tone curves to linear during keyframe adjustments.'

d

...also check out: