• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT/LR MetaData writing/reading speed

#1 firstcamera
Hello LRT forum,

i have a more or less general question today:

I use LRT, LR and AfterEffects these days for 18 sequences of "kind-of" TimeLapse-stuff (OnBoard-a-car-TimeLapse) … each sequence between 5.000 and 15.000 Canon 5K RAW's, so - quite a lot of data. (-;

I'm not talking about render speeds here … I just want to investigate the best way to speed up my system to save time on reading and writing metadata in LRT and LightRoom.

I'm wondering:

The difference when using a new 8core MacPro (2014 - 64 GB RAM) and a 2011 MacBookPro (8 "old" cores - 8GB RAM) when importing - let's say - 5000 frames is not really significant. I think not even 15% faster on the MacPro.

I was searching the web for the best setup of LightRoom already … And yes, i'm using the latest versions of LRT/LR/AE … I'm on Mavericks by the way … so more or less, i'm quite up to date. (but not so eager for Yosemite yet).

I understand, that AfterEffects or LightRoom … are not using my graphic cards (2x FirePro 700 in the MacPro) like DaVinci Resolve does for example.
But AE at least uses all my CPU power for rendering (when set up properly); LRT/LR not at all - during import or any MetaData-processing the "ActivityMonitor" shows my CPU's almost damn bored! (-;

Importing MetaData (10.000 frames) to LRT takes hours on a MacBookPro and just a bit less on a MacPro. (Almost the same in LightRoom by the way.)

On the other hand, rendering out 150.000 RAW (RED-EPIC) frames (100min @ 25fps) in DaVinci is about an ⅛ of the time. Both "RAW-formats" need to get debayered. (not the same - but not completely different either - i guess fair enough as an example.) But sure - DaVinci uses my GraphicCard's power.

How ever, back to a system not really/fully using the GraphicCards: AfterEffects:
At least my cores are totally busy - but not in LRT/LR!

Which box i haven't checked in the preferences?

Thanks for any thoughts from out there,

Emanuel

PS.
Happy new year from Munich!

www.firstcamera.de
#2 firstcamera
Sorry guys, i forgot to write a important information:

I'm using a 6TB ThunderBolt Raid-0 (striped-/speed-raid - brand: G-RAID) for reading and an other of this kind for rendering my stuff out.
(So - I'm not that slow on the road i guess.)

How ever - rendering is not my question here!

I'm still talking about reading/importing and writing/exporting METADATA only!

Greets,

Emanuel
#3 Gunther
Hi Emanuel,
when working with large sequences on apple please make sure to increase the memory provided to LRTimelapse:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-mac-...rtimelapse

Best wishes
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 firstcamera
Thank you very much,
i doubled the amount of memory and now it works fine!
Greets from Munich,
Emanuel
#5 firstcamera
Also important 4 AE:

Finally I figured out my problem!
A bad app was causing my troubles for years!

The bad guy's name is (fortunately was): "PostgreSQL" and it's coherent library.

Anybody running this app should get rid of it as soon as possible!

It ate away months of my lifetime!

Greets,

Emanuel

...also check out: