• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT problem with calculating Deflicker values

#1 MotionOfMotion
Hi bro

I'm a semi pro photographer and also a timelapse geek ! I wasn't using LRT since last week my friend made me to test it . I know it is a pro software but I have some serious problems with it . In short "The flicker is not Deflickred !"

the problem is with the deFlicker . I think it's a bug , but not sure . here I have a sequence which is taken by canon 6D at AV priority mode , and I did some manual Expo compensations between shots . here you can see the preview

[Image: http://www.xum.ir/images/2014/04/09/step-1.jpg]

you can see it extremely suffers from Flicker . I know the techniques to avoid flicker in the field , but you know some times it's all you can do .

so I did the LRT Deflicker WorkFlow tab , Step by Step . then I clicked the Deflicker button and set the slider to it's maximum . you can see the red & blue curves .

[Image: http://www.xum.ir/images/2014/04/09/step-2.jpg]

and here is the Deflicker curve while "constant" is selected

[Image: http://www.xum.ir/images/2014/04/09/step-3.jpg]

the problem is Deflicker is not working ! I mean My sequence is not Deflickerd even a bit ! but I noticed Something that might be a bug in calculations done by Deflicker process .

the problem is , Deflicker doesn't apply correct values to normalize the expo curve . Just look closely to 3rd image . the expo is set to constant so the LRT Deflicker should calculate each shot expo and add (minus) a value to each frame to equalize the expo . so as a math point of view , this is and add curve . I mean the Blue curve is being Added to a reversed Blue curve (red curve) to meet the final desires expo . So there should be No deformation vertically or horizontally in red curve compared to a reversed blue curve .
If I apply deflicker to the blue curve in constant expo , the red curve must be exactly a reversed blue curve . but as you see in 3rd image the red curve is like a reversed blue curve , but it is being squeezed in vertical axis . so If I add the value of blue curve to the value of red curve , i won't get a straight line . so by adding the changed value caused by Deflicker to the main expo value of each frame , I wont get a constant deflickered expo .

the point is that the red curve is squeezed vertically . you can see a hip in blue curve at left down corner . the amount of correction made by red curve for this hip , is about a half tall as of the blue hip . which makes this frame far more brighter than other frames . if we apply the red curve values to the blue curve values , in some frames we have 90% expo change , in some we have 70% , in others 50% . so the relative expo changes between frames which is called "Flicker" , is being kept instead of being resolved .

I did test it on some other sequences and didn't got any batter results .

Please help me and correct me if i'm wrong

thanks for your full time support and effort
#2 Gunther
The curves have different scales, not exactly comparable.
Please don't use the "Constant" checkmark, this is not for nature timelapses. You will get better results if you let the green curve follow the natural light changes. Don't exaggerate with the smoothing as well.
Then make sure to read Metadata into Lightroom, and render the sequence, because you won't see the results in LRTimelapse itself!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 MotionOfMotion
thanks for your instant response

Quote:The curves have different scales, not exactly comparable.
I remember the video tutorial you made for LRT3 - Deflicker . In that tutorial when you use Deflicker You get An Equally scaled red curve which is exactly the same as a reversed blue curve .

Quote: You will get better results if you let the green curve follow the natural light changes. Don't exaggerate with the smoothing as well
Well I did also as you said . I did also saved the sequence with constant unchecked . but there was also flicker . well I think the LRT is capable of DeFlicker even if Smothness slider is at max . I've seen some . But I don't know why mine isn't working . I also did render another sequence with Smoothness at the middle , but no success .

Quote:Then make sure to read Metadata into Lightroom, and render the sequence, because you won't see the results in LRTimelapse itself!
Yeah buddy , I already know that . I render my works in After effects . I also render a sample in Lightroom as you said . The Images are Flickering although .

I don't know whats wrong with my workflow . I watched every LRT3 tutorials you created . But I don'y now why it's not working . am I missing smt ?! Is there any special trick ?!

and would you mind to show me a screenshot of a LRT3 preview Window , which A flickering sequence being deflickered . I wan't to see the red and blue curves . thanks a lot .
#4 Gunther
There is no guarantee that deflicker will lead to silky smooth results with the first pass. It heavily depends of the other settings you did in LR and the sequence itself. if the first deflickering is not perfect yet, just exprort the intermediary sequence with the LRTExport plugin, then load that LRT_ sequence into LRT again, and deflicker it once more (ignore the warning). Now export that one. This tchnique is described in my ebook as well.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 MotionOfMotion
Quote:There is no guarantee that deflicker will lead to silky smooth results with the first pass. It heavily depends of the other settings you did in LR and the sequence itself. if the first deflickering is not perfect yet, just exprort the intermediary sequence with the LRTExport plugin, then load that LRT_ sequence into LRT again, and deflicker it once more (ignore the warning). Now export that one. This tchnique is described in my ebook as well.

Thank you my friend . I read the entire forum before I post this thread and already did a 2 pass deflicker , but nothing good enough to mention .

anyway , thank you a lot my friend and I will follow your guide and will return the result to forum shortly .

...also check out: