• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holly Grail work flow question

Thumbs Up
#1 chrisware24
Hello,

I'm very new to LRT. I have been watching the demo videos and I'm a little bit confused. When processing the specific images that have been keyframed, the video demo states that the second image exposure value should be corrected to match the previous image. Then one corrects the third key framed image to match the second, and so on.

This seems odd to me, since the concept of a day to night timelapse is to have the images go from exposed correctly for the day and then eventually into total darkness.

Can anyone help me understand the HG workflow?

Thanks!!!!
#2 Gunther
The dynamic range in nature is much bigger then the dynamic range that your sensor can capture.
So in order to compensate for that you will make the adustments. Check out the new holy grail workflow tutorial in the tutorials section http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial in order to learn how to make the compensations automatically.

The goal of the holy grail approach is not a fade to black, it's to get a smooth transition from correctly exposed daylight to correctly exposed night / stars / milkyway. This might be a difference in light of up to 22 stops.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chrisware24
Hi Gunther,

I'm using Adobe CS5 with Bridge. After I save the XMP in LRT, I goto bridge and I see that I have to convert from 2012 to 2010, in order to adjust exposure. When I convert, there is an immediate exposure change to the selected image. Is this a problem? Do I need to upgrade my copy of bridge?

Thanks,

chris....
#4 Gunther
Best would be to upgrade Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw. But if you want to use CS5, you can as well change the setting in LRTimelapse settings dialog to Process Version "LR3". Then initialize again.
#5 chrisware24
Hi Gunther,

The drop down window for the 2012 exosure wont change. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

chris...
#6 Gunther
You have to restart LRTimelapse after you changed the setting. Then initialize the sequence again.
#7 chrisware24
Got it!

Holy Grail workflow question:

FYI: I have LRT set to LR3.

So the HG top line workflow is working really well. So awesome!!!

(I haven't been using the second or third rows yet. )

Instead, after the exposure HG compensation is complete. I open all the images in ACR. I use ACR to adjust contrast, saturation, sharpness, vibrance and a crop. I make these adjustments to the first image then synchronize all the images. After I do this the exposure compensation isn't working. I didn't change exposure on any of the images, but ACR still destroys the HG curve.

How come?
#8 Gunther
When synchronizing make sure that ACR does not sync the Exposure setting.

...also check out: