• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Nicom
Gunther

I am new to Time Lapse, working on a couple of projects, your program and workflow guide are excellent and a lifesaver! I have made a donation.

For the films I am making, I have shot on Canon 5DMKII, all are full size RAW files. I need to have best possible quality output for the movie. I am using LR4 beta and your current LRT 1.6.1 release.

I am pretty happy with my first attempt, and having looked through forum am going to redo using exposure slider rather than others plus a little more deflicker

If you have the time, I have a few questions:

1. Should I keep working with full size RAW files? Is it a waste of disk space and process time? the movie export time in LR is very long (and the preview generation). I don't really mind the time, but if it is overkill, how would I reduce their size before LR or inside it?- without impacting on eventual quality ?

2. Having exported video with one of your presets 12fps and 1080@24 LRT Pro(full HD). I want to slow the film down (and in places vary speed), what would be the best step and program in workflow to do that (sorry if its an obvious question, but I am learning step by step). As it is, even at half time in QTPro it is a bit fast for me.

3. In truth I was guessing at the best presets. I want max quality possible. Would it be possible to have an even lower fps preset (8 or 10). For the pieces i am doing, I want a slow transition - or should I do that somehow in post processing? Also eventually one format it may be projected in is via 1st gen Apple TV and HD projector. I think the Apple TV does 1280 x 720, would I be best to make a new Video preset for that...and if so is there a link to how to do the above.

Thanks in advance for your patience and for your generous sharing of knowledge!

Nic

#2 Gunther
Hi Nick,
Quote:I am new to Time Lapse, working on a couple of projects, your program and workflow guide are excellent and a lifesaver! I have made a donation.
Thank you very much.
Quote:For the films I am making, I have shot on Canon 5DMKII, all are full size RAW files. I need to have best possible quality output for the movie. I am using LR4 beta and your current LRT 1.6.1 release.
Please note that LRT 1.6.1 is not compatible with LR4!! Please download the alpha of LRT 1.7, the final version will be availiable these days.
I saw that you purchased my Ebook (good choice ;-), thank you) please read the section about LR4 if you want to use it.

Quote:1. Should I keep working with full size RAW files? Is it a waste of disk space and process time? the movie export time in LR is very long (and the preview generation). I don't really mind the time, but if it is overkill, how would I reduce their size before LR or inside it?- without impacting on eventual quality ?
Yes, definitely keep the original RAW files and work with them!

Quote:2. Having exported video with one of your presets 12fps and 1080@24 LRT Pro(full HD). I want to slow the film down (and in places vary speed), what would be the best step and program in workflow to do that (sorry if its an obvious question, but I am learning step by step). As it is, even at half time in QTPro it is a bit fast for me.
Best is chosing shorter intervals on shooting to avoid stuttering results.
If you have a Movie-Editing program you could try to do a time remaping (i.e. slowing down) there, that would normally give better results.
Quote:3. In truth I was guessing at the best presets. I want max quality possible. Would it be possible to have an even lower fps preset (8 or 10).
For longer Frames than 0,1 secs you can change the value in the slideshow module manually, only shorter frame rates are not accepted so that you need the special templates.
Quote:For the pieces i am doing, I want a slow transition - or should I do that somehow in post processing?
What to you mean with transition?

Quote:Also eventually one format it may be projected in is via 1st gen Apple TV and HD projector. I think the Apple TV does 1280 x 720, would I be best to make a new Video preset for that...and if so is there a link to how to do the above.
Use the 720p presets, they are exactly 1280x720...
Quote:Thanks in advance for your patience and for your generous sharing of knowledge!
You are very welcome. Thanks again for donating and purchasing the EBook and PRO Templates. The EBook should answer many of your further questions if not please don't hesitate to come back to me.

Best
Gunther

Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Nicom
Hi Gunther

Thanks for the quick reply and answers, I will download LRT 1.7, but first film did somehow work in 1.61 (unless i am wrong about the version i have)....Since I posted I noticed the english language version of your Ebook is just out today!,...so I am reading now...great to have it!.

By 'Transition' I just mean the speed/smoothness. The subject is not 'nature' and does not need the smoothness you get in your videos, but is focused on the progress of a painting being made over 4 days, and I am just feeling it is going too fast, I do not mind if it is jerky from frame to frame- but I cannot re-shoot I have to use what i have...I will just have to get someone to help me with that in video editing later

But thanks for all the advice, I think, as you say - many answers are in the Ebook. The next one i am going to try and make is a bit more complicated, so I may have more questions...in a couple of weeks.

Nick

www.nickmiller.ie
#4 Nicom
Gunther
the new Ebook is excellent, very clear & useful, wish i had had it earlier,before shooting!!!
Nick
#5 Gunther
Thank you very much! I'm going to quote you in my "user-voices" if you don't mind. ;-)

I would go for a rendering in 24fps Slideshow and Video and than use a good video processing to slow it further down. Good Video-Processors like After Effects can "guess" Frames inbetween when slowing down. That will get you better results than using slower frame rates.
#6 Nicom
(2012-02-29, 18:57)gwegner Wrote: Thank you very much! I'm going to quote you in my "user-voices" if you don't mind. ;-)
Thanks, yes feel free to quote.
nick

#7 Nicom
Gunther

One last question!

Having looked at the EBook, I have decided to go back to LR3 to keep things clear and straightforward as possible and maybe use LRT 1.6.1 rather than the 1.7 beta if it is more stable.

I was just trying the LR4 Beta, but I have no real need and don't expect to be upgrading other adobe stuff anytime soon.

So I am going to start from scratch with the first project- as I think my versions were mixed up and it may have affected the outcome...Should I firstly select and delete all the old XMP files to avoid any mix up? I have backups of the original RAW folder if necessary.

Thanks again

Nick

#8 Gunther
(2012-02-29, 22:26)Nicom Wrote: Having looked at the EBook, I have decided to go back to LR3 to keep things clear and straightforward as possible and maybe use LRT 1.6.1 rather than the 1.7 beta if it is more stable.
I recommend staying with LR3 for now and definitely going for the brand you LRTimelapse 1.7 final that I released a couple of minutes ago. It should be the most stable LRTimelapse ever... ;-)

Quote:So I am going to start from scratch with the first project- as I think my versions were mixed up and it may have affected the outcome...Should I firstly select and delete all the old XMP files to avoid any mix up? I have backups of the original RAW folder if necessary.
In LRT 1.7 it should be sufficient to select the whole table and than "initialize metadata" from the menu to get you started from scratch with a sequence.
#9 JohnWilson
What is the maximum storage capacity of raw file? Does it varies accordingly?
#10 Nicom
(2012-03-24, 08:30)JohnWilson Wrote: What is the maximum storage capacity of raw file? Does it varies accordingly?

Don't know if this is answer you are looking for, but there are three options on canon 5d MkII (14 bit)
RAW - 5616 x 3744 = 21,026,304 pixels (25.8 mb file)
sRAW1 - 3861 x 2574 = 9,938,214 pixels (14.8 mb file)
sRAW2 - 2784 x 1856 = 5,167,104 pixels (10.8 mb file)

The first is the one i used- takes a lot of disk space and slow loading previews/rendering etc , but gives a lot to play with if you are cropping and doing a lot of work on the images.

Nick

...also check out: