• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shaky zoom-in ? Any clues ?

#1 bilgebay
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I shot some RAW videos with my 6D camera and 15mm Fisheye lens. Magic Lantern firmware is loaded on this camera. Instead of actually shooting each frame, I am recording a movie sequence then extracting the frames from it to construct my time lapse. This saves the shutter life as I only use the shutter once per movie.

After this lengthy introduction, let me share my problem with you: if you kindly watch this TL movie you will see that around 00:19, the scenery starts shaking as if the camera was moved by the wind. Actually, this is not the case. Here is a fixed crop version of the same frames where there is no shake at all.

I have used zooming in and zooming out before with great success and observed no shake at all. Here is an example.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sedat
#2 Gunther
Did you animate the crop with LRTimelapse/Lightroom? I wouldn't recommend doing this since LR rounds to full pixels when cropping and since you obviously shot video, you only have small resolution.
BTW: I wouldn't recommend the approach with Video since you won't be able to do longer exposure times as 1/30 sec. and like you see the resolution is very low. Don't fear to stress your shutter...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bilgebay
Gunther,

Yes, I am animating the crop with LRT/LR.
I think you are spot on with the resolution issue. I was suspecting that too... these jumps never happened with my full res RAW image TLs. The resolution is something like 1808x1216.

I will take your advice and shoot RAW images.

Thanks

Sedat
#4 Gunther
Yes and please consider animating the Zoom in video processing. The encoder might fail otherwise as well.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 bilgebay
Will do, thanks!

...also check out: