• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony A7IV and unfixable flickering (Aperture Priority Mode - Night to Day Timelapse)

#1 shapeofforms
Hey peeps,

This happened too many times to me and I've had enough of it. To the point that I wanted to open up a thread here and ask for help. Is this a camera bug or am I doing something wrong? Let me tell you guys all my settings so that any fellow Sony timelapser here can evaluate.

Firstly, I'm hiker and what I'd like to do is to set up my camera next to my tent and capture night to day change, preferably from 03:00 AM to 06:00 or 07:00 AM. My lens is Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8. So @17mm 15" is about as long as I can expose before star trails appear.

Camera is in Aperture Priority Mode.

ISO: Auto
ISO Range Limit: 100-2000
ISO AUTO Min. SS: 15"
Interval Shooting: On
AE Tracking Sensitivity: Low
Shoot Interval Priority: Off

Whenever I shoot with these settings, I see too much flickering and LRTimelapse's Visual Deflicker does nothing about it in any setting. I can never get rid of it.

Shooting in all manual mode gets rid of it. But then I can't capture the night to day transitions...
#2 Gunther
If you have real exposure flicker (not contrast flicker) LRTimelapse will always be able to fix it, if you respect some editing rules to circumvent some lightroom annoyances. Please watch my expert tips tutorial about lightroom messing up your sequences: https://LRTimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
Also learn how to use the visual deflicker properly (reference area etc.) as explained in the deflicker tutorial.

If the problems persist, please share some examples including Screenshots of the curves over the camera previews (visual previews off) and the visual previews after visual deflicker.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 LindaD
Hi,
I am a Sony user too, using the A7iii and the A7siii
I set up my cameras similarly to yours, out on hikes, but use the P mode for night to day or day to night time lapses
I use medium tracking sensitivity and have the interval set as a priority over the shutter speed
When I load the time lapse in to LRTimelapse it does not see it as a Holy Grail despite the changes in camera settings that took place as the light changed so this option will not likely be available to you either if you are setting the camera to low tracking sensitivity
However, this has not caused me any issues as the camera has already done a good job of smoothing the transitions and I find LRTimelapse can just be used as in any other sequence when the light levels don’t change and I have had excellent results.
As a first step, could you try changing the tracking sensitivity to Medium?
Hope this helps
Linda Davison
#4 Gunther
Also let me remind that for any shooting done with camera metering, which means in A, P, etc or with Auto ISO, you should NOT use the Holy Grail Wizard. Usually it won't be available them, that's for a reason...
The reason is that the camera will do smooth adjustments, but write only discrete values in 1/3 stops to the exif data. In such cases HG Wizard would introduce flicker, instead of soothing the sequence. That's why it's not available (and should not be force used).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: