• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adobe DNG Converter problem during Preview

#1 dwhitebread
On about a quarter of the sequences from a recent trip, when I run Visual Previews, a number (1-12) of the frames will not create Previews, so I can't run Deflicker, or even Export past that file in Lightroom. I'm left with a number of DNG Converter apps stuck not responding, and usually Lightroom partially freezes, so I can't open anything in Develop, and have to Force Quit it too. After I reopen everything, and even after restarting the computer, the same thing happens, occasionally to different frames in the sequence.

This is using the same camera as the functioning sequences, and all the applications are up to date. I've done quite a bit of testing on this, so before I do more, I'm hoping someone else has encountered this and figured out a solution.

Thank you,
Don
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
If you get any errors on visual previews, switch to another folder and then back to this one and LRT will retry to create the missing previews if you click on visual previews again.
It might help to reduce the number of parallel threads in the LRTimelapse settings / expert settings to avoid such problems in the future.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dwhitebread
That was probably the first thing I tried, but it doesn't help. Restarting LRT and the computer, and running without Lightroom open also don't help. Reducing the parallel threads to 4 and then 1 didn't change anything on one particularly troublesome sequence. It did on two others, but still left me with nine hung-up Adobe DNG Converters.
#4 Gunther
There is always the chance that those images are corrupt. Very likely, if it's not happening on other sequence and it's always the same images that don't develop.
Try removing those from the sequence (in LRT and Lightroom).
#5 dwhitebread
After testing different cameras and cards looking for a hardware problem, I couldn't find anything repeatable. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Lightroom, LRT, and Adobe DNG Converter, and so far, that seems to have solved my problem.
#6 dwhitebread
Sorry, but I'm still having this problem, even with LRT 6.0.1, and a lot of troubleshooting. For example, I have six sequences from a couple of days ago. Two of them, from two different cameras, can not finish Previews without hanging up the DNG Converter on 2-4 image files. I'm left with 5-10 DNG converter applications not responding, and often have to restart the whole computer to untangle things. If I delete the xmp files, change the name of the folder, re-Import into LR, and start the process over again, the same thing happens, but to different image files.

I'm already reset down to 4 parallel subprocesses for previews.

Does any of this make sense, and inspire a solution? These are the two best sequences from that trip, and I'd really like to use them.

Thank you,
Don
#7 Gunther
Any virus scanner who might be blocking the programs? Try Whitelisting LRTimelapse and Adobe Dng Converter.
Best add the whole folder c:\program files\LRTimelapse 6 to the whitelist.
#8 dwhitebread
Thanks, but no. No virus software running.

I'm finally desperate enough that I started removing the misbehaving images from within LRT, and sometimes then I'll get one good deflicker run and can export and finish. But if I need to do some edits, every time I run Previews, there is a good chance I will add some new crashed Adobe DNG Converter instances, so I keep losing images.

Another thing is that once an image has crashed this way, it won't load in Lightroom any more, so something has changed outside of LRT and DNG Converter. I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can, hoping there will be a good clue.

...also check out: