• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

After Effects Workflow

#1 Olivia
Hi,

I create long term time-lapse videos and I'm having a few issues.

My workflow previously is the following:
1) Captured images in JPG format on timelapse camera
2) Used LRTimelapse and Lr to filter out the images, do keyframes, deflicker etc
3) Then exported the sequence as 16bit tiff from Lr (Possibly this is not necessary when the original files were jpeg?)
4) I then bring these into After Effects to use warp stabiliser and apply a third party deflicker plugin and CC Wide Time.
5) Then I'd export from AE and then create my video in premier pro.

However I'm having serious issues at the moment with exporting from After Effects. To export 1 minute of footage it is taking over 12 hours. I've been talking to Adobe all afternoon and not getting much success. I've gone back to 18.4.1 version of After Effects and thought this was helping, but now it's back to exporting with long times. I've been exporting it as Apple Pro Res 422.

The one workaround I found was I could export the footage as a JPG sequence from After Effects and then run that through the LRTimelapse exporter. But I'm not sure all the deflicker/warp stabiliser effects stay on the footage??

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I think warp stabiliser is causing my issues with After Effects exporting, but I can't not use it, I need to stabilise the footage. Does anyone else have other workflows they use for long term timelapse?

Thanks in advance.
#2 Gunther
Since this is more related to external applications than LRTimelapse, I moved it to the Video Post Processing board.

First of all, I think, 16 bit tiff export is way overkill for JPG source images.
I'd use 8bit Tiff or even JPG intermediaries. Especially with long term timelapse, you won't see a difference even with JPG.

I can't tell you, why After Effects is slow, but I can tell you how I would recommend doing it to avoid this.

I'd export a JPG sequence from After Effects in the LRTimelapse naming scheme and render with LRTimelapse. All AE edits will be included. I've explained this process in my Expert Tips #10 Video: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/
Check it out!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Olivia
Thank you. That's really helpful to know to just keep it all at JPG through the whole workflow and I won't notice a difference. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the link to the video, that's really helpful. Have you thought about doing an updated long term timelapse tutorial now we're on LRTL 6? That would be amazing to see if you did do one!
#4 Gunther
Hi Olivia, there is really not much of a difference between the long term workflow in LRT5 and LRT6, that's why I didn't produce another video. It's only that the filters are now on the visual workflow and you have additional filters for days of week and time span, but otherwise it's the same. Let me know, if you have any specific questions.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: