• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Keyframe Question

#1 Sportspix
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to dabble in time lapse photography and have tried a few things out with LRTimelapse which is so far going pretty well. Unfortunately I've come unstuck with keyframes (which quite a few people seem to have), and I can't find an answer to my problem despite having searched quite a bit on these forums.

I'm shooting using the Holy Grail method, and have followed Gunther's tutorial although I might have missed something.

I'm getting good solid transitions in the rendered video - with the exception of the keyframes. The keyframes are out of sync with the other frames. It's not a problem between the Holy Grail step (ie 2* and 3*), just any/all keyframes (including 4*), and the images around them.

Put another way, if I *removed* all the keyframes, then the video renders beautifully (aside from the missing 1-2 frames every so often). But with the keyframes in, there is a clear jump in the video and also in the intermediate jpegs output by LR, not just in brightness but in WB and other such settings.

How can I go about getting the keyframes to sync properly?

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
Hi, could it be that you are using settings that are not supported by LRT? In that case the keyframes will render differently to the intermediary images.
Check out this post:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Sportspix
Thanks for the response Gunther. No, I don't think it's any of those because I've not done any localised adjustments. I might on one of them have tweaked the tone curve, but that was only with one of the LR default settings (medium contrast) which I think is okay based on that forum post?

All I've edited are WB/tint, contrast, shadows/highlights, whites/blacks, clarity and vibrance. I did make a small change to the offset/rotate sliders in the Holy Grail Wizard.

I'll have a play now with fewer settings, a linear tone curve and not moving the sliders and see if that gets me anywhere.
#4 Gunther
Yes, I'd suggest leaving the tone curve alone. Use the parametric one if needed.
#5 Sportspix
Well, I'm not sure what happened because I tried on two different sequences, and twice on one of them, with the problems I had above.

I've since managed to get a smooth sequence a few times, so clearly the problem's gone away. I did have one time where I had the jumps again, but I suspect this is down to user error! So hopefully that's all it is and I'll get more used to the workflow in time.

Doesn't help that I'm not really a LR user either so all that catalogue import stuff is pretty alien!
#6 Sportspix
Spoke too soon, I've just tried to work the sequence again today twice with the same resultant issue - 2*, 3* and 4* keyframes are out of sync. Having looked a bit more closely in LR before exporting, I've discovered that the tone curve is basically getting ignored - despite using the (same) standard medium contrast tone curve, all my intermediary images have a flat linear line as their tone curve.

My tone curve is copying across correctly from one keyframe to another, I suspect for whatever reason auto-transition in LRT is not applying the curves from the keyframes to the intermediary frames.

Is there something I'm not doing right?
#7 Gunther
Custom Tone curves are not supported by LRTimelapse. Please just leave it a the setting set when initializing the sequence.
Please use the parametric toncurve sliders instead (Highlight, Lights, Darks, Shadows).
#8 Sportspix
Got it - thanks Gunther. I thought because it was one of the presets within the ACR that it would be fine... but I understand what you mean now!

...also check out: