• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone using Virtual Dub to export?

#1 Rumple
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to see if anyone has used Virtual Dub as their final exporter.
I ask as I love the workflow or LRT>Lightroom>LRT>XXXX
But the final stage of exporting out of Lightroom gives pretty low quality exports.

I don't have After Effects, and don't really like it either, so figured Virtual Dub might be a good final exporter. I know its a bit of a handful as a program, but SOMEONE must have used it for this application...?

Cheers.
#2 Gunther
You can use the PRO-templates in LRTimelapse, that will give you very good quality.

Otherwise you would have to export the entire sequence to JPGs and then assemble them to a movie in any tool capable of doing this.

See my workflow descriptions, the cover this scenario as well:
http://lrtimelapse.com/workflow
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Rumple
I know I can use the pro templates, but I am asking about Virtual Dub to give me different export options and aspect ratios.

Anyone using Virtual Du?!
#4 mikegml
(2012-11-19, 03:46)Rumple Wrote: I know I can use the pro templates, but I am asking about Virtual Dub to give me different export options and aspect ratios.

Anyone using Virtual Du?!

I used VD quite a lot, it's been the main program that I use to make timelapses. It's pretty good, there are quite a few filters that you can use when rendering the t'lapse, for various effects such as deflickering etc, plus you can change the frame rates to anything, and there are different compression outputs formats.

Haven't used it for a while but as far as I can recall it outputs the t'lapse aspect ratio exactly as shot. Best thing you can do is to try it.

As Gunter says, if you use LR2 and Lightroom to process the frames you would have to export (create) a new set of files and VD would then use these to make your video, which is what I plan to do myself to try it out tho' I haven't got around to it yet.

Just remembered something, in VD if you crop any of the frames and try to render the video, the process will stop when it comes to the cropped frames and is unable to complete the process, maybe there is some way around this I don't know. I'm definitely not an expert on using VD.
#5 Rumple
I seem to come to an accord with my work flow, so far it works well:

Canon 5D mkIII (RAW 5760 x 3840 - which is over 4K resolution)
> LRTimelapse (Initialise, Define Work Area, Keyframe)
> Lightroom (Correct Keyframes)
> LRTimelapse (Auto transition, maybe deflicker)
> Lightroom (Export all images as graded 4K 24bit 16:9 72dpi JPEGs)
> Virtual Dub (Export)

Only thing I haven't got is a codec to export out of Virtual Dub with. So far I have been using an uncompressed AVI, which is massive!

I would love to be able to get all the way through the workflow without having to export to JPEGs, but they are 24bit so can't be that bad...

Also, I am in need of a video card. So far my computer is working pretty hard as I only have the basic graphics card thats on the motherboard. My old one died and I need a new one me-thinks!
#6 mikegml
There are five different codec options to export from VD, at least there are on my version, some of them are massive though some are reasonable in size.
#7 Rumple
I have a few video codecs to choose from, I guess I will have to start gathering codecs to export with.
It's not the end of the world, but will have to think about codecs again.

H264 .mov would be nice for certain applications (vimeo uploads etc), but does VD only export as AVI?

I remember the Matrox VFW being made free and public, which are immense but will probably not be on anyone's computer so only good for storage at this point.

XVID is a possibility as its a common one, but I never really liked it.

...also check out: