• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Apple Silicon Mac (M1) support?

#1 mdc1138
I'm delighted that Apple launched not just one but three new Macs today - new Apple Silicon M1 powered 13" MacBook, 13" MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini.

Gunther - do you plan on porting this to be a native app on the new platform, or just running in emulation? Or are you waiting to evaluate the situation?

-mike
#2 Gunther
UPDATE: LRTimelapse 6 natively supports the Mac M1 architecture.

---
We will have to see what happens and when a Java Runtime will be available that natively support the ARM platform. Additionally there might be other things to do to achieve native compatibility. I just don't know.

Personally I think that having another platform in general is quite a bad idea for users, because there will be a ton of incompatibility issues with proven software in the first years and additional costs for updates of software and peripherals. The only one that really takes benefit from this is - as always - Apple. They will manifest the monopoly in their bubble even more and bind their customers even tighter to their closed environment.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mdc1138
Thanks for the prompt, honest, and non-fudging answer, Gunther. I agree it will bind their customers more tightly to them, I hope there will be bang/buck benefits out of it as well.
#4 Gunther
I just wanted to let you know that I've just ordered a Mac Mini M1 with the new Architecture in order to be able to test LRTimelapse on the Apple Arm Platform.

I can only recommend everyone, not to upgrade before you know exactly that all of the software that you use will be supported on the new platform. This might take several months from now.
#5 Danielb.photos
Thanks for the clarification and that you are willing to test LRT on the new platform. Even though I don’t plan to upgrade soon it is nice to hear that you are developing for the new Macs.
#6 Bobu
Thanks Gunther for checking out the ARM Macs. I plan to upgrade my Macbook next year and then likely to the new ARM HW. But since I need LRT running on my Macbook I will wait for your confirmation.
#7 Gunther
Apple delivered faster than I was expecting and I could just run a first test with LRTimelapse on the M1 architecture.
Until further notice, it runs in compatibility mode (Rosetta), but seems to be quite fast. See my video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0EFZ6JsRm/

So for now, LRT seems to run well in compatibility mode. If and when there can be a native version depends on many components - I'll try to work on that in the next months, but no promises yet.
#8 Jorn
How is the performance running on Rosetta compared to natively on Intel based Macs?
#9 Gunther
Sorry, I cannot answer this. Because it depends on which hardware you are comparing. I think it's quite fine, but I cannot do 1:1 comparisons because I don't have the hardware.
#10 Jorn
Thanks for the very quick reply. Yes, I know that it all depends on what you compare it to, but since Apple's silicon computers have seen a 2-5x performance increase compared to the models they replaced I was wondering if your testing had given some indications of how it's performing. For instance how it performs compared to whatever Intel based Mac you have used for development/testing.

...also check out: