• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed

B3: Fresh install of version 6 Beta 3 will not launch

#1 swood.5858c3@gmail.com
I installed version 6, Beta 3, on both a Windows computer that has never had LRTimelapse installed, and also an M1 Mac Mini. On both, the splash screen would come up, but the application would end w/o the main GUI coming up. No crashes, so I assume some dependency is missing. I then installed version 5.8 on both, which worked. I then re-installed version 6 and now it works. So maybe the installer isn't doing something important?
#2 Laurent B
Hello, I had the same problem with an Intel Mac installed. I installed version 6 but could not launch it, I had to install version 5 and then version 6 for it to work. Smile
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#3 Gunther
On a Mac where it doesn't start: could you please open up a terminal and copy/paste the following line there, press Enter:

Code:
/Applications/LRTimelapse\ 6.app/Contents/MacOS/LRTimelapse

Send me the output in the terminal then.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Gunther
Please download and try beta 4. If the problems persist, follow my advice in the last post.
https://lrtimelapse.com/download/
#5 swood.5858c3@gmail.com
B4 does not solve the problem, but looks like it's a trivial problem of a missing log file. Confirmed by making the ~/Documents/LRTimelapse folder and then creating an empty LRTimelapse.log file, and then starting B4 again. It now launches.

Code:
LRTimelapse Launcher 1.2

Check if another instance is running via /Users/swood/Documents/LRTimelapse/LRTimelapse_running
Launching LRTimelapse
(c) Gunther Wegner, All rights reserved.
---------------------
Launching from app bundle: /Applications/LRTimelapse 6.app
Using JVM from /Applications/LRTimelapse 6.app/Contents/Plugins/jdk11.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java
Total memory (MB):  8192
Dynamically assigning memory
Minimum memory: 1638
Maximum memory: 6552
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/swood/Documents/LRTimelapse/LRTimelapse.log (No such file or directory)
    at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
    at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:293)
    at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:235)
    at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:184)
    at java.base/java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:96)
    at lrtimelapse.com3.M(vcc:26)
    at lrtimelapse.LRTimelapseMain.<clinit>(pcc:53)
    at lrtimelapse.LRTimelapseApp.main(dwb:196)
2021-12-28 14:28:29 [ERR] Couldn't create lock file: /Users/swood/Documents/LRTimelapse/LRTimelapse_running
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at lrtimelapse.LRTimelapseApp.main(dwb:196)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.io.BufferedWriter.append(java.lang.CharSequence)" because "lrtimelapse.com3.B" is null
    at lrtimelapse.com3.f(vcc:63)
    at lrtimelapse.com3.d(vcc:171)
    at lrtimelapse.LRTimelapseMain.<clinit>(pcc:235)
    ... 1 more
#6 Gunther
I think you might have denied LRTimelapse the access to the Documents folder when you got the question from the OS.
You need to allow all access queries that you get when launching LRT for the first time or even better allow "Full Disk Access" to LRTimelapse, as explained in this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-wil...-and-later
#7 swood.5858c3@gmail.com
I am never prompted for access before it dies. Right now I have B4 installed and working. If I shut it down, and go remove the ~/Documents/LRTimelapse folder and then relaunch, it fails.

In fact, all I need to do to get it to work again is create the LRTimelapse folder.
#8 Gunther
Ok, I see... I was only deleting the log file itself and that worked. But you are right, in the current beta, if the folder doesn't exist, it's not being created. Thanks for finding that out!
This will be fixed in Beta 5.

Until then, new users (who never ran LRT 5): please create a folder called "LRTimelapse" inside your documents folder if LRTimelapse doesn't launch.
#9 Gunther
Beta 5 is now available for download and fixes this issue: https://lrtimelapse.com/download/

I'm closing this thread now. Please open a new one, if necessary.

...also check out: