• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Direct Export with reduced number of threads?

#1 BerndSpanfelner
Hi,

I just installed the beta5 of LRT6 and tried the direct export - which is a feature I highly appreciate. However, it seems that the export uses only two thready (out of 8 possible ones on my computer). In the settings I could choose to use more threads for the previews. Is it planned to also let the user adjust the number of threads used for the export? Since my overall CPU load is only at 30% I hope that additional threads would speed up the export significantly.

BR,
Bernd
#2 rony
I noticed that too.
Yesterday I installed Beta 5 of LRT6. - But I have not yet registered it with a new licence.
Is it perhaps because the licence has not yet been installed that only two processes are started?

My CPU is only being used to 50% capacity.
#3 Gunther
With the non licensed version the export runs only with 2 threads, visual previews with 4 (export has higher load than VP). With the licenses version you can set higher number in the settings.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 BerndSpanfelner
Thanks for that idea.

I am not completely sure that his did the trick. As I was quite exited by the new features I wanted to give them a try on some of my newest shots. As the scene has way over 400 single exposures I decided to immediately upgrade the license - since I was sure that I would update anyhow. So when I tried it the first time, the (private) license for LRT6 should have been active already. However, today - after restarting everything again I gave it again a try with another scene. Now I have 3-4 DNG Converter processes. So some improvement here.

But what I find a bit strange is that my system control shows all of the DNG Converter processes with about 180% CPU usage - which is usually the case if a process uses multiple threads (on my Mac computer). So is it possible that the DNG Converter itself does some multithreading and blocks LRT from spawning more instances of the converter? Is this possible?

Just for reference: when generating previews all 8 threads seem to be used (at least I can see 8 DNG Converter processes)

BTW: I should give some details about the computer: it is a 2016 MacBook Pro with i7 CPU and the lates macOS Monterey running.
#5 Gunther
The export of an image takes much longer than the preview generation. That's why on some systems working with the full amount of threads there could have been timeouts. That's why I have set it to half the amount.
In the new beta 7 now I've added an additional setting where you can set the number of threads independently for Visual Previews and Export. By default it will be half the number on Intel systems and the same number on Mac Silicon. But now you can change it for fine tuning to your system (on a licensed version).
It also depends heavily on the raw file resolution that you are using.
Please test the new beta and give me your feedback.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 BerndSpanfelner
I just tried it. With the new adjustment feature I was able to use 8 threads. As you suggested the number of threads becomes now an issue because of timeouts. However at least the CPU utilization is now at ~95% per thread and about 750% overall (just as with the preview generation).

I did also some primitive benchmarks with an export of 600 pictures each with 4 threads and with 8 threads. The difference was marginal and given the dropped pictures I would follow your suggestion to use only 4 threads for the export. Maybe something like 6 threads is a sweet spot. I will try this eventually. But without your recent changes I am able to try it!

So many thanks for your help and efforts. And by the way: I like the other new features! They allow me to become a bit more independent from Lightroom for simpler Timelapses. Thumps up!

...also check out: