• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera battery when shooting timelapse

#1 mabnz
Hey guys

I'm shooting with a D750 and having trouble getting the battery to last long enough to shoot a long timelapse of a sunset and some star trails (say 4-5 hours).

I've got the stock battery and the battery grip, but it doesn't seem to last.

What are some other options? I use the wifi on the D750 and QDSLRDashboard to ramp up the ISO/shutter.

Secondly, I've purchased a copy of LRTimelapse and was going to use it to put the video together, but I'm not sure whether to use the workflow from LR or just import the RAW images directly. I've seen the Holy Grail workflow within LRT but not sure how to use it if I'm importing the images via the LR plugin? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
#2 Gunther
Hi Mike,
regarding the first question:
I use a battery dummy powered with a powerbank.
Here is an article, I've written in my german blog on how to build it, this is the google translate link:
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...t=&act=url

2nd: it doesn't matter, if you use the LRTimelapse importer or if you import with Lightroom.
LRTimelapse importer has some advantage, since it prepares some stuff that will save you time later, but after the images are on the harddrive, the process is the same. Check out my instructions: http://lrtimelapse.com/workflow
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mabnz
Gunther,

Thanks for the LRT info, I'll take a look a the link you provided.

Re the battery pack, I've actually got a set up similar using an LM2596, and it totally used to work, now when I plug in the adapter to the camera I get a flashing half empty battery symbol and the camera won't turn on.

Have you seen this before with your powerbank? What voltage do you supply the camera - 7.2V?
#4 Gunther
I think you have to increase the voltage. I mostly use 8 or 8.5 on my Nikons, it's more stable.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 RvDam
I want to start with some time-lapse in the future, also using a Nikon D750 with a battery grip. I was wondering how long (or how manny pictures) you shot with two batteries?
#6 RvDam
You can change the grip battery without interrupting the time-lapse

...also check out: