• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Color discrepancies

#1 dobmatt
Simple sequence with only 2 identical keyframes ... When grading first keyframe in LrC (Mac, all up to date) I'm using saved Camera Raw preset to process RAW files. However, finally exported 8-bit TIFF images of original pixel size are somehow different than the same files converted directly to 8-bit TIFF in Adobe Camera Raw. LRT export is 4608 x 3072, 16.14MB at 240 ppi resolution, while direct CR conversion is 4608 x 3072, 40.54MB at 300 ppi. Moreover, color discrepancies are noticeable as well. Both sequences - LRT de-flickered and rough - imported into PP timeline are different. Why is that?
#2 Gunther
File size depends on compression settings which might be different.
Color differences might come from incompatibilities with player / editor software or wrong settings for different color spaces.
By default LRTExport creates the intermediary files in Rec.2020 color space, which not every player/editor can display with accurate colors.

If you don't want to dig deeper into this, I'd recommend to leave the intermediary files alone and render from LRTimelapse in Rec.709 and then bring those video files into your video editor/player. This will create files with the biggest compatibility.

See this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the...htroom-lrt and also follow the links there.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dobmatt
Oh, that'll explain the issue, thank you. Do we have the option to change color space of these files to Rec.709? The difference is not dramatic and definitely correctable, but it will be nice to take the advantage of Camera Raw user settings ...
#4 Gunther
I'm not really sure what you are trying to do. If you want to work with Presets, why not doing that in Lightroom?
Also you need to take care to not mess with the LRTimelapse initialization when working with presets. You should only create a preset from a preinitialized image in Lightroom, to preserve the initialization. Also make sure to not include the linear gradients in the presets. Then you can work with presets in Lightroom, this has nothing to do with the export or the color spaces.
#5 dobmatt
Gunther, I'm dealing with RAW images, batch processing the sequence to 8-bit uncompressed TIFF files from within Adobe Photoshop>Camera Raw environment with saved preset. Later the TIFF sequence is imported into Premiere Pro timeline, nested and finally exported to whatever video format I need for archiving with the highest quality possible. The video looks exactly the same like a single TIFF file in timeline.

My goal is to achieve this for de-flickered intermediate TIFF files exported via LRT, optionally ignoring the LRT video rendering mechanism.

Is it possible?
#6 Gunther
I don't think the way you do it is the best workflow. I've spent 10 years on working on this topic and the result is LRTimelapse and the workflow that I show in my tutorials. I recommend that you watch at least the basic tutorial on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/ and then the latest video about the color management introduced in LRT 5.5: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrtimelapse-5-5/

The big advantage in contrast to your workflow is that you can do multipass deflickering on a lossless raw file basis and keyframing with seemless transitions also on raw file basis.

With the new Rec.2020 workflow, of LRTimelapse/Lightroom/LRTExport you'll get the best quality possible even for HDR productions in modern video editing software like Davinci Resolve.

...also check out: