• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deflicker like workflow for Color Temperature

#1 Delrious
Use the color temperature stored in the Exif data as a guide for making a smooth color temperature curve. So if the user shoots in AWB mode, it reads each color temperature that get's stored and then creates a smooth color temperature curve to follow. This will allow for a much more precise color temperature ramp rather than trying to key frame it and guessing where the color temperature should be. Workflow could be similar to the deflicker workflow.

Thanks!
Ben
#2 Delrious
I should add that this should work regardless of what the WB preset it. Even if it is set to "Custom", it should still be able to use the WB value stored in the exif.
#3 gwegner
The Idea sounds doable - but - do you really think automatic whitebalancing makes any sense when shooting time lapse? Why not set the white balance in post processing? I don't even use automatic WB when shooting stills because in my opinion the camera is wrong in 90% of all cases...
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo
#4 hamishniven
(2012-09-25, 21:27)gwegner Wrote: The Idea sounds doable - but - do you really think automatic whitebalancing makes any sense when shooting time lapse? Why not set the white balance in post processing? I don't even use automatic WB when shooting stills because in my opinion the camera is wrong in 90% of all cases...

So what do you select for you white balance?
Daylight is not correct on the coast - 5,600K is too cold with all the sea?
Tungsten is too cold 2,900 looks horrible for most incandescent lighting.

When shooting RAW the colour balance is only to show the colour on the camera as every balance is captured, post processing allows you to make that choice.

Back on topic, on the time-lapse I posted a week ago, Toprope - A Unique Project I had some people working on the leg of the oil rig as the sun began to set.
I set the initial colour balance at the start of the clip to be 6,800, and the last point to be 4,500 as the colour was too orange for the final, and LRTimelapse did a smooth render of the colour balance through the whole clip.

LR4.2 / LRT2.01

Hamish
#5 gwegner
Hi Hamish, I always set my WB in the camera to "Cloudy" and shoot RAW. Later in Lightroom I adjust the WB to my liking. Make sure to have your Monitor calibrated!
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo

...also check out: