• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dropped frames canon 200d and variation in exif time

#1 marona@hotmail.co.uk
I bought a lrtimelapse pro3 a month or so back and despite the instructions didn't get round to upgrading the firmware (it was on 23) all seemed to be working fine.

i did notice a tiny bit of variation in the exif interval times between shots when i loaded them into lrtimelapse, perhaps 4.9 to 5.1 seconds (for a 5 second interval). I never had any variation in interval times with my previous cheap £15 intervalometer.

I've only shot a handful of sequences between 150 - 290 shots and they all worked fine. However, at the weekend i shot 2 timelapses back to back and at around the 200 image mark the timer started dropping frames see attached.

I've just updated the firmware to 28 and increased the release time from 200ms to 250ms - not sure why it would start dropping frames after 200 shots?

I've now shot a few test sequences of 220 frames and it's not dropped any, but there is still a little variation in time is this expected?

all sequences are on single shot, manual focus on a canon 200d.

any advice much appreciated

keith
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
5.9 / 6.1 is normal, that's due to how the Exif Data is being written. Cameras will round to 1/10 of a second and LRTimelapse just shows the difference between the timestamps.
If you really get missed intervals, like 10 secs instead of 5 something is wrong. Here the camera doesn't release. Fine tuning the release time to the camera as explained in the instructions for the LRT PT normally helps then. https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/manual/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 marona@hotmail.co.uk
gwegner,

thanks for the quick reply, how many shots would you expect to have to test before you get dropped frames?

keith
#4 Gunther
Normallyl there are no dropped frames. LRT PRO Timer works really accurately. If frames get dropped it's in 99.9% the camera.
Could have different reasons. For example if the Autofocus is on, you could have dozens of frames where the focus hits and the camera releases, then eventually it doesn't hit and the camera doesn't release. Therefore always turn AF off when shooting timelapse.
#5 marona@hotmail.co.uk
after some experimentation, i'm getting more consistent results having increased the autofocus time to 300ms with a release time of 200ms. AF is always switched off, but it seems the AF signal is somehow getting the camera ready for the release.
#6 Gunther
Yes, some cameras require the AF signal to be sent to release reliably.

...also check out: