• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dust spots and flats, eliminating imperfections on images

#1 ewiley
I am wondering if any time lapse folks have ever tried the astrophotography trick of dividing their time lapse images by a master flat image to get rid of imperfections such as sensor dust spots. I and other astro folks do this to eliminate dust bunnies and other imperfections like vignetting on our images. Might be a good dodge for a dirty sensor.

I think I'll try it,
Ed
#2 Ulli
Sure but until now I did't shoot flats on a ragulary basis
#3 Gunther
What about cleaning the sensor?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 ewiley
Hi Gunther,
Sorry for the late reply. Cleaning the sensor window (contra sensor which is behind the window in most CCDs) and filters are needed when they get too dirty. Spots and dust donuts are part of everyday life in an observatory. But you would be surprised at how dirty they can get and successfully get rid of the artifacts in the flat processing. As a rank beginner in TL I am interested in seeing just how effective processing raw camera images with raw flats might be. I am just now learning the new Time Lapse 6/ Lightroom 11 protocols, but the next time I shoot clouds (my learning subjects) I will shoot some flats. and see how it goes. Unfortunately my Canon 6D sensor is fairly clean, but I bet I can find some spots.

Ed
#5 Gunther
Another important tip is to not stop down your lens too much. There is no reason to shoot clouds with an aperture of f/11 or smaller. The wider the aperture, the less you will see any dust spots from the sensor.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: